Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
New York
So I have a 2014 13in Macbook Pro. The other day, the computer stopped working. Brought it to the Apple store. They did a quick systems check and found everything was ok with hardware, so they tried to reinstall the OS, but it would not install. Therefore they kept it overnight to do a more thorough checkout. Got a call the next day saying the SSD has an issue and they need to replace it. It will cost $475. I was ok with that. Just received another update saying they need to now charge $775 because they found liquid damage and need to check and replace everything they find wrong.

Now I'm a little upset. So what to do? Spend $775 or get a new computer? If I upgrade what should I get? Would love to get a new 15in model, but spending upwards of $2,800 + appcare is little expensive.

What would you guys do in my situation?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I would go back to them and ask what additional has failed to warrant replacing at a cost of $300 over the SSD at $475?

Are you upset because it had no water damage to your knowledge?

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
New York
I would go back to them and ask what additional has failed to warrant replacing at a cost of $300 over the SSD at $475?

Are you upset because it had no water damage to your knowledge?
Not saying they are lying, but generally upset that it costs so much to fix a laptop. A few hundred dollars more and I can get a new laptop, albeit not the one I would like.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Well I don't care either way but if you want help you need to honestly state what happened. The advice you get <will> be different.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
775 into an already 3+ year old computer is definitely tending towards being not worth it in the long term, but you’re talking, realistically, double that for a new 13” or triple for a new 15”. That means that your repaired 2013 would need to last more than another 3 years to be better value than investing in the new one from a purely financial perspective. That’s a tough call.

Reactions: iMi

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
New York
775 into an already 3+ year old computer is definitely tending towards being not worth it in the long term, but you’re talking, realistically, double that for a new 13” or triple for a new 15”. That means that your repaired 2013 would need to last more than another 3 years to be better value than investing in the new one from a purely financial perspective. That’s a tough call.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can get a 2016 15in for about $2000 right now plus tax. Hard to spend over $800 including tax just to get it fixed.

Reactions: iMi

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can get a 2016 15in for about $2000 right now plus tax. Hard to spend over $800 including tax just to get it fixed.

Sell the damaged one on eBay as is. If the screen is still good, say so. Bet you’ll get a few hundred for it.

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
New York
Sell the damaged one on eBay as is. If the screen is still good, say so. Bet you’ll get a few hundred for it.
I haven't thought of that one. Thanks! Yeah I'm leaning towards just buying a new one. Spending over $800 to get the old one back is starting to feel silly.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Unless this is a flagship 13 (i7/16GB/1TB SSD), it makes no sense to put that kind of money into it. Base 2015 13-inch models have been spotted for under $1,000 brand new.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Water damage would be enough for me to write off this system. Water gets under components and continues to cause corrosion long after the boards look dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuelsan2001

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
They told you hardware tested ok and SSD failed now hardware not ok?

As above are you sure no liquid spills?
I'd be be upset in your situation.

I can see your dilema too.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I haven't thought of that one. Thanks! Yeah I'm leaning towards just buying a new one. Spending over $800 to get the old one back is starting to feel silly.

2017 is starting to have some major sales for the holidays through 3rd party vendors. Id compare those discounts to Apple refurbs and buy whichever was at the right price point.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I agree. Two things. One, if the test showed the hardware to be okay - why would anything need replacing? Water damage or not. If it's working. Leave it be.

On the other hand, you may be better of taking that money and putting it toward a new machine as many here said. Trade in the old one or sell on eBay for parts to recoup some of the cost.

One last thing to consider. Call Apple back and ask about flat rate repair option. It's a different process and you'll have to ship the computer to a depot for repairs, but it will cost less. I had a suspected water damage on the new MacBook and they said that if that was the case, they would definitely recommend the flat rate repair option. I think it was $250. Covered any repair needed. I don't know if they have this option for the MBP but it's worth asking.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sell the damaged one on eBay as is.

Of course the OP might need to be prepared to say whether it actually has had water damage or not, seems reticent to do so here.

OP - whether is has had water damage is VERY pertinent to the resale/residual value and consequently the advice you get as to whether it is worth putting money into for repairs, and what those repairs might be, may be quite different.

This is like not being straight with your own lawyer, you just can't get the best advice that way.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Of course the OP might need to be prepared to say whether it actually has had water damage or not, seems reticent to do so here.

OP - whether is has had water damage is VERY pertinent to the resale/residual value and consequently the advice you get as to whether it is worth putting money into for repairs, and what those repairs might be, may be quite different.

This is like not being straight with your own lawyer, you just can't get the best advice that way.

I agree that OP is silly not to just say "yeah I spilled liquid on it," but my assumption was that's the case. I think 800 bucks is a little steep for almost any repairs to a laptop, nowadays, considering what it would cost to buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.