Opinions needed on a switch!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by triple-tap, Jul 14, 2014.

1. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Hey all,

My dilemma is this: I currently have an iPhone 5 (had it since launch day in 2012. still have 2 months of applecare+ on it). My brother recently smashed his iPhone 5S 16gb (got for christmas, no applecare), and gave it to me.

Is it worth the $269 to upgrade via Out-Of-Warranty repair service for the 5S? The phone is beyond repair via a simple screen replacement. The phone will not power on, and the metal backing is actually bent away from the screen at the top of the phone.

2. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

If they agree to the out of warranty exchange you should do the for sure. Sell your 5 on eBay (apple care will drive your price up) and upgrade for little to no money. Hell you might even make a few bucks. Win win for everyone involved except your poor oblivious brother haha :p

3. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I don't feel too bad because he is 23years old and is on my parents cell phone plan (living in their house). I've been off their plan and on my own for 8 years. Also, rather than replacing the phone himself, he opted to just use one of my parent's phone upgrades to get himself a new Galaxy Note. My poor mom is still on the iPhone 4. If I upgrade, I actually plan to give her my iPhone 5. She doesn't use the phone for much other than calling, and I just nailed a job as a new lawyer at a firm (aka I actually "need" to have a reliable, high tech phone to keep up with the other associates on productivity and availability).

4. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

First, congrats on your new gig!

Second..absolutely it is worth it. You're getting a refurbished, like new 5S for less than half of retail. You should do this yesterday...or sooner!

5. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. I'm very excited.

I know the out if pocket cost is great compared to a retail purchase of a 5s. However, with the 6 coming in a few short months, is it even worth the $269 to upgrade right now?

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'd say so, because when the 6 comes out you won't be as hard-pressed to upgrade, and even when you do, you'll have a 5S as a spare phone or to sell for decent money.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You could always sell the 5s on eBay/Craigslist - I'm not too sure of the second-hand price, but I bet it's a lot more that $269. Use the money to buy the 6, your mum still gets the 5 in September, win-win.

8. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I would have handled this situation a bit differently.

If he smashed his own phone, he should have to do whatever he has to do to fix it, if it's worth it to him.

If my brother (the one I don't have) gave me a broken iPhone, is give it right back. It's his problem because he smashed in the first place.

In my opinion, it's a rather rude move to take someone's upgrade, if you smashed your phone.
    You should work on getting your parent (mom? I assume) a new working phone to compensate for their taken upgrade.

Your brother can fix his own problems, he's a grown man, right?

But if you're feeling compassionate, fix it I guess.
    I guess I wasn't raised to fix other peoples problems, especially when they caused it.

That's just me though, you do what you have to do.

My two cents.

9. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

In a perfect world, dealing with an ethical human being, your scenario would have been the result. And my brother is the "black sheep" of the family.

However, a couple of key factors here:
    1) I didn't allow him to get the upgrade. He was made an account manager (for Verizon) by my father so he could get the initial upgrade without my father needing to be present.
    2) The second he took an upgrade without clearing it with my father, I would have kicked him off the plan completely.
    3) He planned to sell the broken phone to someone on craigslist for $30, so I gave him an unused best buy gift card to avoid this dumb move. No cost to me, and I don't shop at best buy anymore.
    4) Mom will be getting a new phone one way or another. I just know that if I attempt to give her the 5s, she will insist on taking my 5 because she just doesn't "need" the new technology.

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Once you make bank as a lawyer, you wouldn't think twice shelling out $269 for a phone. What type of law are you specializing in?

11. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

1. I see. However, I would expect to see the father be account manager, since that's how it is for everyone I know. (Head of household 1950s view I presume)

2. Completely agree with you.

3. Not quite sure if I understand...

4. By 'new' I meant new to her. Anything that is newer technology would be from the 4S up if she has a 4. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Your 5 will work as it falls in the 'newer technology' category.

-Juan

12. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you mean "Once you pay off your 250k in student loans, you won't think twice about shelling out $269." :D

I am going to be working with Disability Benefits and Veteran's Benefits. Pretty psyched about the new job, but won't be starting work until later in September. Hence the hesitation to spend money now.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

LOL! I was hoping you were a labor law atty. I was going to ask you a few questions via PM. Yeah, 250K in student loans, I'd stick with the 5S and don't you even dare think about a 6. :D Good Luck!

14. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotcha. Thanks for the well wishes though.