all of these fine for a laptop used to surf
the net, emails, and watch YouTube? Which
is best? I assume the C2D has the best
performance.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Pentium is older technology, but for that kinda usage, any dual core CPU is fine. Core 2 Duo is the best one

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Pentium is older technology, but for that kinda usage, any dual core CPU is fine. Core 2 Duo is the best one
Actually, the newer Pentium Dual Cores are basically Core 2's that are at a lower clock speed and bus speed. They're quite OK processors. My advice is to just avoid Celerons like the plague. :D (Though the newer dual core Celerys probably aren't terrible...)

EDIT: Well, technically you ARE right - the PDC is a Penryn-based chip, right? So that's older technology... ;)

Pentium dual core, Core 2 Duo, AMD...are
all of these fine for a laptop used to surf
the net, emails, and watch YouTube? Which
is best? I assume the C2D has the best
performance.
You assume right - of that lot, Core 2's will be the best. However, don't completely discount the others - my new laptop (specs in sig) is an Acer 5534-1121. It has a 1.2GHz Athlon X2 - and it works great for all the stated purposes. I even play a few games with it (albeit, older games at low-ish settings).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Actually, the newer Pentium Dual Cores are basically Core 2's that are at a lower clock speed and bus speed. They're quite OK processors. My advice is to just avoid Celerons like the plague. :D (Though the newer dual core Celerys probably aren't terrible...)

EDIT: Well, technically you ARE right - the PDC is a Penryn-based chip, right? So that's older technology... ;)
Yea, Pentium dual-core T4xxx is Penryn based but so are Celeron and Celeron dual-core.

Basically, Pentium is just a code name for cheaper mobile CPUs, better than Celerons but worse than Core 2 Duos

No ice please

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Amd

I prefer AMD over intel. My sister dell with a Athlon X2 1.6ghz w/vista basic and 1 gb of ram feels wayyy faster the my 2.0ghz C2D 4gbs of ram w/vista home. Not to mention AMD is cheaper and are extremely stable when overclocked.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Yea, Pentium dual-core T4xxx is Penryn based but so are Celeron and Celeron dual-core.

Basically, Pentium is just a code name for cheaper mobile CPUs, better than Celerons but worse than Core 2 Duos
Hmm... if that's the case, then just avoid the single cores and the low cache processors.

I just setup a nice HP that a friend of mine bought. It had a 2.7GHz PDC (don't know number) and 6GB of RAM and a 21" LCD. They got it for $550 from Staples. Other than the not-so-great graphics, its an AWESOME machine. If I thought it'd be easy to hackintosh, I'd get one myself. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.