Opinions needed on dual core processors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skubish, Dec 9, 2009.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Pentium dual core, Core 2 Duo, AMD...are
    all of these fine for a laptop used to surf
    the net, emails, and watch YouTube? Which
    is best? I assume the C2D has the best
    performance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Pentium is older technology, but for that kinda usage, any dual core CPU is fine. Core 2 Duo is the best one

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Actually, the newer Pentium Dual Cores are basically Core 2's that are at a lower clock speed and bus speed. They're quite OK processors. My advice is to just avoid Celerons like the plague. :D (Though the newer dual core Celerys probably aren't terrible...)

EDIT: Well, technically you ARE right - the PDC is a Penryn-based chip, right? So that's older technology... ;)

You assume right - of that lot, Core 2's will be the best. However, don't completely discount the others - my new laptop (specs in sig) is an Acer 5534-1121. It has a 1.2GHz Athlon X2 - and it works great for all the stated purposes. I even play a few games with it (albeit, older games at low-ish settings).

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, Pentium dual-core T4xxx is Penryn based but so are Celeron and Celeron dual-core.

Basically, Pentium is just a code name for cheaper mobile CPUs, better than Celerons but worse than Core 2 Duos

5. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

Thanks for the info.

These chip makers don't make it easy to judge price/performance of the processors.

6. No ice please macrumors 6502

Amd

I prefer AMD over intel. My sister dell with a Athlon X2 1.6ghz w/vista basic and 1 gb of ram feels wayyy faster the my 2.0ghz C2D 4gbs of ram w/vista home. Not to mention AMD is cheaper and are extremely stable when overclocked.

7. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Hmm... if that's the case, then just avoid the single cores and the low cache processors.

I just setup a nice HP that a friend of mine bought. It had a 2.7GHz PDC (don't know number) and 6GB of RAM and a 21" LCD. They got it for $550 from Staples. Other than the not-so-great graphics, its an AWESOME machine. If I thought it'd be easy to hackintosh, I'd get one myself. :D

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube