Opinions of the 06/2012 update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stefan109, Jun 11, 2012.

1. stefan109 macrumors member

So, we all now know what the (near) future is for the Air. General opinions?

Prior to the event I thought, without a Retina Display, I would be disappointed. Strangely, I'm satisfied with the update and have ordered the 13/128/8. It should fulfill its requirements as a rapid notebook for everyday tasks and mid-level gaming. IMO this specification is the best value laptop in the Apple range at present.

Anyone else?

2. 31rhcp macrumors member

I really like it, but don't absolutely love it. I wasn't expecting much more than just Ivy Bridge, but we got an 8GB option, 512GB SSD option and (in some cases) a $100 price drop.

I'm looking to buy a 13"/256GB SSD/8 GB/2.0 GHz i7.

The thing is, when you spec it out pretty high, the price gets close to the new Retina MacBook Pro (at least it does with my education discount, which takes a lot more off the MBP price than the MBA price).

3. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I really like it, but I'm wondering if the screen will bother my eyes? The one on the previous MBA 11" did, so I assume it'd be the same deal with this one? I like the 8gb RAM - that was a big thing for me.

4. Semaphoric macrumors member

Did Apple drop the price on the 11" MBA (128 GB)? It seems like the new MBA 11" with 128 GB is less expensive than the old 11" 128 GB Amazon is selling. Can anyone confirm this?

5. stefan109 thread starter macrumors member

I think if I was going for high-spec, the jump to the Retina MBP is worth it. I ordered from the UK education store, and I ended up paying a little under £1000 with £70 iTunes Credit and 3 years warranty. We got a substantial £100 price reduction over here so perhaps that goes someway to explaining my relative satisfaction..

----------

In the UK, no price reduction for the 11".

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I think the update was all we could have realistically asked for. Yes, we can dream about smaller bezel etc., but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

7. steve dave macrumors 6502a

They did drop the price by $100. The difference though is that both now have 4GB. They used to charge you $200 for 4GB RAM v 2GB and 128 GB SSD v 64 GB. Now they can't justify asking $200 for just a storage upgrade.

8. stefan109 thread starter macrumors member

I've found that the 11" display places noticeably more strain under the eyes than the display found on the 13". Anything will beat the glossy display found on my old 15 MBP :D

9. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I have a 13" glossy MBP :p (early-2011 model). I love it but want the 11" for the portability. It'd be so convenient, if my eyes can handle it! I know the 13" is pretty darn light too, but the footprint of the 11" is so appealing to me, lol.

10. stefan109 thread starter macrumors member

The size/weight of the Air was the primary reason why I made the transition from the MBP. I tend to carry around my laptop most days, and the 15 was too bulky IMO to lug around..

Have you considered selling the MBP and going for an 11" Air + TB set-up?

11. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I might consider that. I have to see how my eyes handle the 11" first though, because I do carry my laptop to work every day.

12. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

It's been an evolutionary refresh rather than revolutionary:

Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge
    4gb RAM to 8gb RAM
    256gb SSD to 512gb SSD
    HD3000 to HD4000

So, basically, they've kept the same machine, simply updating it to 2012 standards.

I was expecting a bit more from this update: new display, smaller bezel, better battery life, etc.

13. JMS803 macrumors member

Happy with the SSD/Ram upgrade, but was looking for a higher-res display.

14. sarah11918 macrumors member

I like my machine. :) It's a good upgrade from the 2010, especially given that the 11" can have all the same upgrades as the 13".

15. jameswdmb macrumors member

I just ordered a 13" Air....256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, i7 Processor, & my 27" Thunderbolt display arrived today.....the only thing I am not happy about is that I have to wait for the Air to ship to me. I tried calling local Apple stores and none could confirm that they would have stock of the upgraded Air, so I ordered online to try and ensure I received it this week (fingers crossed).

I was gearing up for buying a MacBook Pro before the announcement, so I was pleased with what they had for the Air. Short of a quad core option, I got everything I could have hoped for.

16. asattwanger macrumors newbie

17. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Yes.

18. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

The RAM bump to 8GB makes the MBA a usable tool for me.

My employer has asked me to take on a new role where I will be traveling fairly frequently, and taking their heavy HP laptop along with me is necessary. Their laptop along with my MBP makes for a fair bit of weight. On an earlier trip I used my iPad for my personal computing and while it worked, its usefulness was limited by its design

A 13" MBA is probably just what the doctor ordered for my circumstances. I am going to be on the road for 3 days next week and it is unfortunate that a BTO machine couldn't be delivered prior to my departure.

19. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

...sorry to ask but do we have USB 3.0 on the new refresh 2012 Macbiik Air.?
    :confused:

20. rygamble macrumors regular

Yes. Assuming you're talking about a MacBook Air lol.

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I'm bummed the 2.0 i7 is only available on the two high ends. I don't want the 11" and I don't need 256 storage on my portable, but I can't get a base 13" and upgrade the CPU. I'm happy about the 8GB RAM but would like to see those carried in stores. I like the price drop. But I would glad get a 13" base with 2.0 i7 and 8GB RAM leaving the storage stock.

22. jgc macrumors regular

I'm thrilled. I was honestly expecting new Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0, nothing more. Faster SSD, faster RAM, and more RAM (I'm upgrading to 8 gb) made it go above and beyond my expectations. Oh yeah, and they dropped the price...

Love it.

23. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Hey guys, two questions:

1. Is the SSD user-replaceable on these Airs? I know the ram is not, but what about the SSD?

2. Isn't 4GB of ram enough for most users? Under what circumstances would 8GB be recommended?

Thanks...

24. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

You can replace the blade SSDs. If you're a heavy parallels user, 8GB would be beneficial.

25. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I'm usually about 2GB RAM plus 2GB swap right now without starting my big apps, just using the normal browser, mail, and assorted utilities. If I start up Xcode, Photoshop, DEVONthink, and the other apps, I can easily go deeper.

So 4GB RAM isn't enough to keep me out of swap when I start doing "real work". Upping it to 8GB means I can keep Photoshop open to work on icons while working in Xcode and the iOS simulator while keeping track of documents in DTPO. Or, it means I can be working on a multilayered hires photo scan in Photoshop. Or it means I can be swapping stuff between Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator as I work on a layout and keep them all open.