Opinions on 20" 2.66 Refurb

Discussion in 'iMac' started by novada, Mar 8, 2009.

1. novada macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new all-in-one computer and I'm looking for a good deal.

How good of a machine is the 20" 2.66 Refurb model ($999) when compared to the new 24-inch 2.66GHz machine? I am having a hard time convincing myself that I really need a 24" display or a 640GB hard drive. Is the lifespan of these machines significantly different? How do you justify the $500 price difference? I can pick up a 4GB memory pack for around $60 correct?

Here are the specs on the 20" 2.66 Refurb from apple's web site:

20-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    Built-in iSight Camera

Will the refurb likely come with an iLife09 disk?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you can, go for the 24" 2.8 refurb, it's a great deal. And yes it comes with iLife '09

3. matt1219 macrumors regular

I think the refurb will get iLife '09, as I have heard others have received a disk with theirs. I would get the refurb. If you don't need too much hard drive space, then it's okay. And plus, the new DDR3 RAM isn't much faster than the original.

4. trose macrumors regular

I ordered it and am very happy with my decision. I was very close to going for the 24", but I have a small desk and already run at 1680x1050 resolution (the 20") and find that it's more than enough for me... especially when using Spaces to manage clutter from multiple apps.

I intend to do a bit of gaming as well, so the 2600 Pro made more sense than the 9400m.

I think it's a steal at $999!

I'm going to take the $200 I saved from not going with a 24" and put it towards getting a decent TV... which is the only place I feel like I need a larger screen :) (Especially seeing as I have no TV now, heh)

5. novada thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see this listed at the moment, although I did read it was offered at $1199 yesterday. I'll probably keep checking for a couple of days before I buy anything. If I see the 24" 2.8 refurb offered again I will definitely consider it.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Good. It's only 200$ more for a nice, big screen.

7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

If you have a chance to get a refurb 20" 2.66GHz from the last generation for a good deal, jump at it if you're not wedded to a 24" screen. The old 2.66s are superb machines.

8. Chris. macrumors regular

Great choice, I have the 20" 2.66GHz iMac which I bought brand new in August, and its the best computer I have ever had.

Enjoy! :)

Chris.

9. zen macrumors 65816

zen

I was just in a similar boat - have one 20" 2.4 GHz iMac, needed a second one for the wife. I've just grabbed a 20" 2.6 GHz for about half the price of a new (updated) model, and of course the old 2.6 has a discrete graphics card as opposed to be integrated one in the new model.

Sweet!