Opinions on a new set up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PolySciSurfer, Jun 15, 2009.

1. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Hey all, so I'm building a new set up and I've gone through quite a bit of options brain storming, but I would really like your input as well. Here are some options I've thought up...

1. iMac + 13" MacBook Pro

2. 13" MacBook Pro + 24" LED Display

I'm also going to be using an external hard drive for time machine. I like the iMac set up because it gives me another computer at not much more cost, plus is comes with a keyboard and mouse.

What are some advantages and disadvantages to either set up? My uses are mostly, word processing, games, photoshop, rapid weaver, internet, music, renting iTunes movies and shows. I also may dabble in some video editing and movie making but just stuff I record with my point and shoot digital camera.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks guys! :D :D :apple:

2. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

Erm. well all i would say is that the imac has a hard drive! Music!!
    :D

3. Apple all life macrumors 6502

My dad had the some problem but he went with the Imac because its not the much more and its a whole new computer for you to install apps with.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I like the LED setup cause then you don't have to deal with 2 computers and syncing, etc.

Plus you'll get a really really nice 24" LED display, which is perfect for watching stuff on, and for day to day browsing.

Honestly though, I would look elsewhere than Apple to get the LED display. There are deals to be had out there. The most I would pay for the LED is $700.

5. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Syncing! I didn't even think about that. Is it a hassle? How do you even do that? Say I'm at the library on my laptop, download some music, then come home and what do I do? I could see that as being a pain. :confused:

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

There are apps out there that will sync folders between your 2 computers, but I still find that to be a hassle.

7. apthai86 macrumors member

The whole syncing between a desktop and laptop is a hassle. My previous setup was a 24" iMac and Macbook. I eventually got tired of it and only really used my iMac.

Since the new Macbook Pro came out and with a lower price, I sold my iMac and Macbook and got a new 15" Macbook Pro and currently looking for an external monitor that I can use when I'm at home.

Just something to think about, I wish I would have gone this route earlier as I would have spent less money.

8. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I think you just helped me decide on a set up! I'm sorry to ask you guys this, but I figured we are already here (I know I should probably search for it) but when I use an external monitor with the new unibody MBP, what are my options for display? I know you can "mirror" but what else can I do? This sounds really neat, I'm very excited! :D :apple:

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yeah same here. I just sold my previous gen MBP and will let my brother use my iMac, so that I can just have a single 13" MBP as my main and only computer. I want the LED really bad too.

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Mirroring is bad if your displays aren't the same resolution cause then you will have stretching.

Extending your display is the other option (which is better). You can use the external monitor as the extension, or you can use the monitor as the main screen and the MBP will be the extension.

You can also just run your computer in clamshell mode so that the only display will be the external.

Hope that makes sense to you, lol

11. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect, thanks guys! I'll go with the 13" MacBook Pro, and the 24" LED Cinema display. I'll post some pictures of my set up when I get it going. :D :apple: