Opinions on a site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fox10078, Jun 4, 2012.

1. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Hello,

I'm building a site for a friend. Quite simple only 4 pages. Just want some opinions on the looks, transitions. Etc. content isn't complete, films page only has one as an example for rest.

Works best in safari/chrome ATM.

Flashfadedproductions.com

2. Albright macrumors regular

Try browsing that site with a browser with JavaScript disabled. Whoops!

Invisible text like that might also be a problem for SEO purposes - I think most smart spiders check to see if text is hidden by CSS to avoid being spammed by invisible text that normal users wouldn't see.

The text fading is a cute trick, but like most cute tricks, it may cause more problems than it solves.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you just want to know that it works...Then yes it does. Choice of headline font (depends on what you are trying to achieve here) seems a little comic.

Background and the star effect are good and will make text stand out as you develop, but the basics are important. Get them right from the start...Going back is a Pain in the you know what!

4. manueld macrumors 6502

Honestly, it looks very amateurish, i feel like you're throwing in the kitchen sink, for the sake of throwing them in. The design I feel like would detract from the content instead of highlighting it.

5. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

Agreed. Simplifying could do a lot for the site. Sharpening up the corners (smaller radius) and removing glows/shadows would address the issues that make it feel "amateurish" for me. As they are a production company, you can use their work in a simple layout to add some appeal.

Regarding the text being hidden, just removing the body display:none in the CSS file should address the issue. Your JS is already hiding the content on ready so it can be faded in.

6. fox10078 thread starter macrumors 6502

fox10078

Thanks for the opinions. I'll try and tighten it up and make it cleaner and simpler.

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Your title for the first page is "FLash faded productions".

And, on an iPad, the text scrolling and transitions are quite awkward.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It's amateurish and reminds me of "Tim and Eric Awesome Show" for some reason, personally for what you're trying to do I'd think a Wordpress portfolio site with Vimeo would be a better option.

You'd be better off purchasing a good quality Wordpress theme then modding it to a look and feel that's consistent with the brand's ideals, it would be easier to maintain and easier to post new stuff and update the existing content when needs be.

I'd suggest checking out Theme Forest and Wordpress.org it would be a good to get your head around the backend and what is possible theme-wise.