Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I'm looking at an used powerbook that I can get for $650. It is a 1.5ghz, 512mb, 60gb 5400, combo drive model. It is perfect condition operationally or cosmetically. What you think, is this a worthwhile purchase?

I've been buying used ibooks and powerbooks recently, since I've been running into some deals and just trying to narrow it down to 1 or 2 so that I can be "ready" for the next batch of intel laptops.

My goal is to try to keep the cheapest possible laptop that will fulfill my needs for now, and for the very basic things that I do, pretty much any laptop will do.

So if I get it, i would have to make a decision between this 12" and the 15" 1ghz that I bought for $500 that has the lower memory slot issue.

Both definitely do more than enough for me. The widescreen is nice but so is the ultraportability of the 12". Which would you keep and why?
Which will probably hold the best resale value when the 13" widescreen laptops come out?

Thanks!

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
That is a pretty awesome deal IMHO. That Powerbook is still very capable. I have a similar one. I think that is an amazing price, if it is in like new condition.

thecheda

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Los Angeles
good deal

kmarketing said:
Hi,

I'm looking at an used powerbook that I can get for $650. It is a 1.5ghz, 512mb, 60gb 5400, combo drive model. It is perfect condition operationally or cosmetically. What you think, is this a worthwhile purchase?

I've been buying used ibooks and powerbooks recently, since I've been running into some deals and just trying to narrow it down to 1 or 2 so that I can be "ready" for the next batch of intel laptops.

My goal is to try to keep the cheapest possible laptop that will fulfill my needs for now, and for the very basic things that I do, pretty much any laptop will do.

So if I get it, i would have to make a decision between this 12" and the 15" 1ghz that I bought for $500 that has the lower memory slot issue.

Both definitely do more than enough for me. The widescreen is nice but so is the ultraportability of the 12". Which would you keep and why?
Which will probably hold the best resale value when the 13" widescreen laptops come out?

Thanks!

that is an extremely great deal. i had a 12 inch powerbook and it suited me for my school needs. but as i got into web desing and graphics arts here, i needed more room on my display (hence my macbook pro and acd purchase). personally i would wait for the 13 inch macbooks to come out. they will hold value since ibooks are at the end of their life cycle soon. wait it out.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I sold the 15" and made a couple of hundred on it. And I purchased the 12". It's a really nice machine, and I think its ultraportability will be a great value even when the new ones come out. Sure they may have the 13" widescreens, but I'm wondering what their size and weight will be, especially if they are having heat issues with the 15".

At least I say that for now:)

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.