Opinions on another (but different) MBP V Imac thread!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nc016163, Mar 8, 2011.

1. nc016163 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Need some opinions if you can spare me a moment!

Been reading all the MBP V IMac threads and have a pretty good idea about waiting for the Imac if you are buying soon, but if MBP you want then buy now.

My dillema is, I am lucky enough to get a discount on Apple products in the UK (Although the buy price of a Mac here in the UK is about 35% higher than the US :mad:) So I am thinking of getting a 13" MBP and a Apple Cinema display as I really do want an Imac but portability would be an issue.

My general usage is, web surfing, photo organising, word process, presentation creation,

My Dillema is between these 3 choices, which one do you guys think is best (UK Prices I will pay converted to USD)

13" i5 MBP with Apple Cinema display @ $2800
    15" i7 MBP on its own as its faster and bigger @ $2200
    27" i5 Imac @ $2719

I do want portability and in an ideal world an Imac and a Mac air or somethng would be ideal but costs do play a factor. Is the 13" too small? is the cinema display worth it? how do the graphics fair when using a 13" I5?

Thanks in advance for all your opinions and help, especially from anyone with a MBP 13 and Apple cinema display already

2. jimmyhii macrumors member

have you thought of getting a 13" MBP with a monitor of other brand? i believe ACDs are pretty expensive 0:

3. eaf7s macrumors regular

For your uses, the baseline 13" would be absolutely fine. Couple that with a different brand's external monitor--if you're on a budget, BenQ is a fantastic value; if not, you can still get something amazing for half the price of a cinema display. You'd save a LOT of money by going down that route. From the looks of things you don't do anything that requires a quad-core etc. and having the option of portability in addition to the external monitor means you're suiting both purposes just fine.

4. nc016163 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked out the BenQ stuff, only around $300 dollars for top end 24" thats pretty awesome...

So would I just need the mini display port adapter? and would the picture still be of good quality? I notice when I use my TV (yes I know its a TV) to display out on my current Toshiba laptop its pretty poor.

Also what about sound, does this also work through the Mini Display Port or is this another lead?

Not sure I want the desk too cluttered but if its saving me $1000 its a small price to pay!!

5. eaf7s macrumors regular

Yup! Depending on the model you get, go with DVI to mini displayport, or if it's available on your monitor, HDMI to mdp :) . The quality will be just fine. I've been using a 22" BenQ here in England, as has one of my housemates (his is 24"), for years and neither of us have had any problems. A friend of mine back home (stateside) is in the same boat. All of us saved a LOT of money in making that decision :p

6. nc016163 thread starter macrumors newbie