Opinions on best provider for my needs.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AZ1578, Oct 17, 2011.

1. AZ1578 macrumors newbie

This is going to sound like a newb question, but I have done a lot of reading/searching and can't find a real good answer.

I'm finally out of my contract with Sprint. I'm a 'free agent' now and can go anywhere I want. I've never had a smartphone and it's time. I've been an Apple person for 10 years, so I definitely want to go with an iPhone over an Android or other device.

My wife and daughter will also be getting an iPhone.

I'm thinking about getting them each an iPhone 4 (8 gig) and me an iPhone 4s (16 gig). My wife and daughter won't use a whole lot of data, so the regular iPhone should work fine. I will be using mine for online patient billing, so the faster the better for me.

Sprint has an unlimited plan for about $169/month. We have not been happy with the number off dropped calls we are getting with our current phones.

We will be limited to 2GB/phone if I choose ATT for about $169/month. I've heard their data network is the fastest.

The Verizon plan will be around $200/month. I've heard that they have the best phone reception (less dropped calls).

Based on that info... Who should I choose as a provider?

Do I really need a 4s or will the regular iPhone 4 work for me?

Thanks for your help.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You answered your own question. If you need faster data, go with AT&T. If you feel 2 GB isn't enough (FTR, I've never gone over 2 GBs and I'm unlimited), go with Sprint. You just may get less speeds with them.

3. AZ1578 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... I'm leaning heavily toward AT&T, but I am a total smartphone newb, so I wanted some opinions. Thanks for yours.

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Heard nothing but horror stories with Sprint. Now, some here like it so maybe I am wrong but in the cities I have lived in and had friends with Sprint, not a single one was happy with their coverage

On the other hand, I find AT&T to be absolutely embarrassing and numerous levels but for the MOST PART, I can make calls and get some connection AND I have unlimited so....I stick with it.

2gb is nowhere near enough for me and I am not a "heavy user" watching movies, etc...

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The service provider you should get does vary depending on where you are. You might want to do some Google searches and see what people in your area have to say about data speeds and dropped calls. Here in Michigan I really like AT&T. I get good data speeds and I haven't experienced many dropped calls. But some people with AT&T get poor coverage and lots of dropped calls.

I never even get close to 2GB per month, but I'm not streaming anything, watching movies, etc. Keep in mind that when you use WiFi it doesn't count against your data usage. So if you work or live in an area with good WiFi coverage you won't use nearly as much data.

As for which phone to get...I have a 4S, my hubby has a 4. They're both great. I will say that mine gets faster data speeds than his. If you're in an area where AT&T has HPSA+ then you'd want to go with the 4S so you can take advantage of it.