Opinions on board rework houses for GPU replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serr, Nov 7, 2014.

1. serr macrumors regular

Any opinions on board rework houses for GPU replacement? Recommendations?

We have the new batch of GPU faux pas with the 2011 machines now and a legitimate service would be a good thing.

I'm well aware of the obvious scammers to avoid. The place that wants you to send in your entire machine for a flat fee that hopes to find something else minor wrong besides the logic board. They'll charge you additional for the replacement logic board if they actually have to replace that and you get hit for at least $500. Or the kid with a hair dryer (or moms kitchen oven) lying his ass off about professional equipment.

But what about places like NYC Laptop Repair?

Are there legit rework houses out there that get professional results?

We have all these 2007 and now 2011 logic boards that just need good GPUs and they'd run for another 10 years.

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

I gather the majority of shops do just "reflow" the solder. I can't imagine many places have a stock of working 2011 GPUs.

I remember I saw a while ago in another thread someone who works for a Mac repair shop in New York saying they generally aren't worth repairing - the issue almost always reoccurs. With that said, if you replace the GPU it may well behave.

Unfortunately I have no idea who to recommend as I haven't had to deal with such an issue yet (fortunately).

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

4. serr thread starter macrumors regular

That is of course a straight up scam and guaranteed to fail. That's one of the things to watch out for as I mentioned.

But what about the couple places that are actually replacing the GPU? In theory, this should be a viable procedure.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann