Opinions on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ozzyman500, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Every now and then I feel the urge to sign up for Facebook. I haven't really been social lately and deleted my MySpace due to the fact I don't really use it and don't have the original email I signed for with it. I would feel pretty ****** if my friends changed numbers on me and I didn't keep up with them to know about it and have no way of getting in contact with them. On the other hand I am so sick of seeing Facebook everywhere and on every TV commercial. Should I sign up and just check regularly or what should I do? What are your opinions about it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I had facebook for a while but found out I was wasting a lot of my time on there. Eventually I stopped using it and it my account was closed by facebook because of user inactivity. In my opinion, don't get one.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Seconded.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How long were you inactive before FB closed your account?

I have an account on FB, but haven't used it daily and have now been logged off for at least four months.

And after I visited www.lamebook.com I pretty much loathe FB, even if LB is showing a small percentage or less of it.

6. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I can't really remember since it was quite a while ago but I think I hadn't logged on for about half a year.

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I use FB. I use it keep up with my family, including my 18 year old daughter. I waste way more time here (exponentially) than I do there. :eek: I am glad that I have it though.

8. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Yep. I think you should sign up and check regular enough that ur account doesn't get closed :eek: It's a good way to get in contact with friends. Check your privacy settings and don't click those suspicious links/pages like "OMG..." "Shocking...". :p

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't have a FB account nor do I plan on getting one. I don't really see the need for one.

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I hate Facebook.

I only keep my profile out of politeness, but now I'm seriously considering getting rid of it.

It's more trouble than it's worth.

11. Xavier macrumors 68020

I am coming to this realization as well.

It seems I get to see more pointless updates on what page you just became a fan of, and all these stupid videos and photos of some semi-attractive girl in a car. Also the STUPID duck face peace sign photo.

The main reason I keep facebook is to stay in contact with friends who have moved away/graduated.

12. ranguvar macrumors 6502

I can't stand Facebook. It's an excess of wannabe-prom-queens' / cool hip guys' self-cultivation.

13. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I have a Facebook account and use it waaaay too much. I'm quite addicted. It's great, though. I've caught up with a lot of old friends and classmates...some of whom I haven't seen in over a decade. Some I've even started hanging out again with...which never would have happened without Facebook.

Facebook is also a great place to share photos and videos. Not to mention, to organize events. I can't think of any more useful site on the internet (to keep up with people). Personally, I think it's one of the more indispensable websites out here.

14. danielcox macrumors member

A lot of people are complaining about Facebook because of boring/useless status updates, annoying stats from games your friends play or whatever - none of that is the fault of Facebook but of the people you friend. Vanilla Facebook untainted by ***** is really quite good - excellent for sharing pictures, events and keeping in touch.

15. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I don't use facebook that much anymore. I Actually "Graduated" to linked in which is good for career networking. And i use foursquare and twitter.

16. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I don't hate Facebook for what it does (connect people [which is a good thing]), I hate Facebook for what it has done (depersonalized a lot of relationships and communication; farmville, fired from jobs).

I have one to be polite, as steviem has mentioned. I usually only go on to reply or participate in something a YouTuber is doing. I did however, delete my Myspace years ago.

I have better things to waste my time on, like MacRumors ;)

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Facebook is only really good if you have a lot of friends on the site. Having had an account for 5 years (before it was open to everyone) I've built up about 500 friends who I actually know or have had some meaningful interaction with in real life. It's a great way to keep in touch with college friends now that we've graduated. If more than a few people I regularly keep up with canceled their accounts I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat...it's a wasteland otherwise.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I liked Facebook much better when it was about networking and communicating with people. Now it's all about silly games (Farmville), useless "apps" (so-and-so has sent you a hug), etc. I block all that stuff, now Facebook is eerily quiet for me.

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I use it to interact with my real friends. Talk trash to them on their walls, comment on their statuses, try to make some funny comments. It's also easy to talk to people using facebook chat. I'd much prefer people use something like AIM through iChat, but the fact is that a lot of people are on facebook at any one time so it's easy to IM people.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

here is an idea,

why not sign up for FB, try it for a couple months, and see if you like it. if you do then keep it. if you dont delete your profile.

simple

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's what you want it to be.
    I know people who waste hours on those farm and mafia games. All I use it for is keeping in touch with friends and family. Some old college mates fled the town, my parents and grandparents travel through Europe a lot and Facebook is the best way of keeping in touch and showing pictures etc.

Email gets full. Picture messages cost quite a bit. On Facebook they're easily shared amongst other family members.

It's also been a good line of communication with some business connections abroad.

S'all good.

22. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Thirded. I prefer Twitter becuase it's more "to the point" than Facebook... and even then, I haven't been on Titter in ages for lack of time.

Facebook is all geared around "Let's be Friends!" but that just soaks up more time, tbh. It's too involved to maintain a FB account for me.

23. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I don't have one, never will.

I can't stand most people in real life, let alone on Facebook.

24. ethical macrumors 68000

I like Facebook. Use it a lot.

All you people complaining about the abundance of wannabe prom queens and douchebags here's an idea....don't add them! The crappy games....don't install them, and block the updates from appearing on your home screen. Tired of updates from groups and pages that you've joined? Don't join the flipping group! Or the next time one of their updates comes up block it.

It's not hard to set it to only show the stuff you want to look at.