Opinions on factory unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Greg M, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Greg M macrumors 6502

I've got two (well one's on the way) 3gs iphones. One is a 32gb running 4.0 JB & unlocked that has all the SHSHs on file from 3.0 to 4.0 and is on 04.26.08 baseband. The other one is a 16gb factory unlocked iphone that is on official software.

I can easily do with the 16gb limitation and I don't have any problems with "accidentally" upgrading to a new version of iOS. I'm wondering if there is any performance hit by JB & software unlock. I don't think that I've experienced any but then again I don't have anything to compare it to.

BTW, I'm on T-mobile and don't have a data plan.

Which would you go with and why? I'm hoping that someone might come up with some reasons for one or the other that I haven't considered.

The only reason that I can think of for going with the factory unlocked 16gb is that I'll never have to wait on a JB to update the software.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't know if you read the posts in this sub forum regularly, but there are plenty of people who have accidentally killed their jailbreak.*
    If you can live with the 16GB and don't need jailbreak's programs, then you should stay with the factory unlock. It's very liberating when you can upgrade the software and not have to worry about locking yourself out from your T-Mobile contract.
    I have my phone jailbroken and unlocked even though I'm on AT&T. Whenever I travel overseas, I like to be able to take my phone with me and use it as more than an iPod touch.

*I call BS on the accidentally. Apple's dialog box gives you the option to upgrade. You have to deliberately upgrade the software.

4. Greg M thread starter macrumors 6502

Same here :)

5. Greg M thread starter macrumors 6502

Could you explain why you think that?

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

simple answer factory unlock can not be undone and doesn't require a jailbreak it's permanent. it's also worth more when sold! you never have to wait for the Dev-team..

software unlock requires jailbreak and can be undone. you always have to be careful when upgrading.