Opinions on free 1.8Ghz Mac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AdvocateUK, Feb 4, 2009.

1. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Hi all,

Ooh my first post in the iMac section :D

OK before my question a bit of back-story (bear with me).

I was living with friends when I bought my Mac Pro and, when my mate saw my new setup he said "I want one!" Unfortunately his wife didn't, she's still using her G4 iBook, which she loves, and as far as she was concerned there was nothing wrong with the G5 iMac that they already had!

Fast forward 6 months, the hard drive dies on his G5. "No problem!" says I, we'll just get a new HD and I'll pop it in for you. But no, he's now working away for four months at a time so he tells his missus that it's completely buggered and next time he's home he'll buy a Mac Pro (clever guy hehe)

Anyway, long story short, he's now offered me his iMac for free, and I just happen to have a spare 250GB hard drive lying around.

Now, my girlfriends folks are using (or rather, not using) quite an old decrepit PC and because it's so rubbish they tend to use my gf's laptop instead.

My plan is to fix up the iMac and give it to them to replace their PC. All they do is email, web surf, and the occasional lesson plan in Office (which I can get for £17 through the Microsoft Home Use Program).

Soooooooo, my question is.

Is this iMac going to run Leopard ok for their use?

I mean, once they start using a Mac they're bound to want to run iLife 09 for their digital photos etc. Will they be disappointed with the performance of it?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Alistair

2. oneEG6 macrumors member

As long as you max out the RAM, you'll be fine. It'll run like a champ, iPhot and all.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I want that iMac G5!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just replace the hard drive and it'll be a beast again.

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Max out the ram and it will be perfect for what you describe.

5. AdvocateUK thread starter macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Hehe thanks for the replies guys, I'm a bit more confident they'll love it now :)

Now if only I can convince someone to give me a free Mac Pro Octo hmmmm