Opinions on Installing Microsoft Silverlight

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by liftereyes, Mar 29, 2010.

1. liftereyes macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about installing Silverlight on my mac to watch instant Netflix streams. Other then opinions on Adobe flash vs. Microsoft what do you guys think about the software in terms of security and stability?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Silverlight and Netflix works very well for me
    No problems, no issues

3. liftereyes thread starter macrumors newbie

What about issues with security? Should I be any more concerned about installing this then I would be installing Microsoft Office on my Mac?

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

I don't know of any serious issues with Silverlight. Most people with Macs, myself included, seem to like Silverlight better than Flash. I can watch HD Netflix videos with the fans only at half speed instead of going full blow when using Flash.

5. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I've had no issues with silverlight, either, and I haven't found any mentions yet of security holes. Something could develop, but I'm not concerned.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've never had any issues with Silverlight. In fact a sight with it is a delight to use because it is usable, unlike flash which make the fans spin and beach balls roll.

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I have an intel iMac from 2006 and Silverlight works fine, but I have not updated in a long while, so if there is a new bug I wouldn't know. It may have started working even more smoothly as well.

I don't have a problem with Flash on Hulu, either. It used to take much more CPU power, so the computer would be unresponsive for a few seconds after stopping the Hulu stream. They must have optimized the site since then, as that does not happen nowadays.

8. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If you install Flip4Mac for WMA/WMV support, Microsoft Silverlight gets installed as well. I prefer silverlight embedded media during browsing over flash media. Silverlight runs better and consumes less resources.

9. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I was as reluctant as you to install it. I finally did, so that I could watch NetFlix, and haven't regretted it. It's been remarkably stable. If anything, a bit more stable than Flash Player.

Go for it...