Opinions on iPhone 4's Battery Life (iOS 4.3.1)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bizfox, Apr 3, 2011.

1. bizfox macrumors member

I had my last iPhone 4 replaced, due to a seemingly bad battery and a failing home button. My new device came with iOS 4.2.1, which was a reliable version in a lot of ways, but I missed specific features of 4.3.1 itself. So after restoring the phone as new with the recent update, I went ahead and ran the battery down and charged all the way to 100% to recalibrate. After about a day, here are my results:

[​IMG]

I unplugged the iPhone at around 5am yesterday, and it is now hovering at 50% at 12am. Personally, I think the battery is fine. What say you???

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It was exactly the same for me, before I downgraded back to 4.2.1

3. bizfox thread starter macrumors member

So, you had good or bad battery life on 4.3.1? My post above was really asking about what you guys think about my device's battery life, that's all.

What was your reason for downgrading to 4.2.1?

4. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Mine has been great. I get about 5-8 hours of usage. I downgraded so I could jailbreak again. I really dislike my device when it's not jailbroken.

As for your battery life. It's decent. What are you doing during those 4 hours of usage?

Edit: 51% left. That's really good! Nothing wrong with your battery life at all!

5. bizfox thread starter macrumors member

For those 4 hours, I'm mostly checking emails for work and tweeting. I also received a couple of calls (around 5 min each), along with a bit of texting via Whatsapp and taking photos of different properties. That's it... thanks for your reply. I kinda guessed the JB part, though haha. I used to be jailbroken all the time, but I'm liking the stock iOS for a change lol.

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Haha yeah I actually an liking it too. I'm not using any themes or anything like that at the moment. Just a few tweaks to help improve the performance of the device. Lockinfo and notified pro with grip notifications. Those are the two big ones. I do a lot of email/texting and I can't stand the iOS notification system anymore. Can't wait till we get a change in iOS 5!

7. APtalent macrumors regular

Mine has 10 hours on standby and 3 hours of usage. I just play little wings and browse. Battery is at 60% running iOS 4.3.1 jailbroken [tethered]

8. bizfox thread starter macrumors member

That's not bad at all. Try playing Infinity Blade on your iPhone, and that game will definitely run down your battery in a couple of hours lol (at least that's what happened in my experience)...

9. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Yeah that game is a huge battery drainer. The only time I ever play it is while I'm at home, and I'm able to charge my phone easily after.

10. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Bizfox.. how do you take those screen caps of the iPhone screen? Just wondering. I don't have an iPhone yet.

11. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You press the home button and the sleep/wake button at the same time and it will take a screenshot of the screen.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

wow you guys are getting way less then me I am JB 4.2.1. I use it all day at work internet,youtube, play a game or two at lunch including Infinity Blade take a few calls. Most days I am between 40-50% in a 9 hour day.

13. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

What are your exact numbers? How much usage/standy time? People here have 4 hours of usage, but almost a day of standby, and still at 50%.

14. bizfox thread starter macrumors member

@labman I'd be interested to know your usage and standby number as well.
    @iapples Speaking of jailbreaking, there's an untethered 4.3.1 version
    coming out in a few hours...

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I will post it tomorrow for you.

16. infidel69 macrumors regular

That battery life isn't very impressive to be honest. I average 40+ hours between charges on my Atrix with widgets and live wallpapers. I never turn off GPS or BT either. Not trying to make trouble ... just sayin.

17. bizfox thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, but I am specifically asking about the iPhone 4 running on the latest 4.3.1 and not other devices. I'm glad to know that you are enjoying your Atrix, though :)

18. bizfox thread starter macrumors member

Looking forward to it. Considering that this replacement is a new phone (serial number starts with 61111xxxxxx), my battery may reach its true performance after a few more weeks of charging/recharging. Since it lasts me for more than a day of use, I can only see it getting even better over time.

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

[​IMG]

20. DoodleD macrumors newbie

What is 58MB next to the clock?

21. Apple 26.2, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I do agree that it is a fine battery. However, pound for pound (or should that be electron for electron?), the original iPhone's battery was better.

22. iamartimus macrumors 6502

For me, it seems that my battery drains faster since the last update. I can unplug my phone, play just one round or Words With Friends, and it goes down to 98%. Check my email, then it's down to 95%. This is all within about 5 minutes or less.

23. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Here's mine from today. I am quite impressed.

Mostly 5 hours of that is music. Half hour of Tiger Woods 12. Probably 1 1/2 hour of browsing. Where I am at work I don't get that great reception so when I listen to music I turn off cellular data. I'm working anyway!

Attached Files:

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

supposed to be usable memory. It's a feature of Jailbreaking. Well not really because it's not accurate, actually useless. I played the most demanding games when I'm told I have no memory left.

25. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine has been same if not worse