Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScWasHere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2020
Hi, I'm considering purchasing this monitor, however, it doesn't seem to be in stock. Delivery times are at 8 - 10 weeks, so I'm wondering if there are problems with the monitor?
Has anyone experience with the monitor?
I'll be using it with a 16" MBP. I'm thinking of using it as my main computer and selling my 27" iMac 5K.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Google for reviews. Nobody seems to love this display. A lot of people like and/or tolerate it, but nobody loves it. It’s a lot of money for what it is, but it’s (still) the only DisplayPort 5K display in the game.

ScWasHere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2020
That seems to be the consensus, no other choice and this one is pricey.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
If it were my money, I’d go with one of the higher end 32” 4K displays and call it a day. Why pay a premium for a mediocre display just to get an extra 1K pixels?

Reactions: ScWasHere

ScWasHere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2020
Yeah, that's enough for me to decide against it. thanks, everyone for the input.

jukkhop

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
If you can, wait a few weeks to see if Apple is going to announce or release anything in October. People have been speculating due to the long delivery times of the Ultrafine 5K.

asus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
If it were my money, I’d go with one of the higher end 32” 4K displays and call it a day. Why pay a premium for a mediocre display just to get an extra 1K pixels?

Ugh, it's not only extra 1k pixels, it is 6,5 milion pixels more vs 4k display.

And to get proper 'retina' type of resolution, mac os scales 4:1, so on 4k 32 display you would have 1920*1080 UI size and screen real estate vs 2650 x 1440 on a 27" 5K screen.

And with the same PPI of around 200, screen elements, icons etc, are the same size on laptop and 5k screen, so it's the same only more space, how it should be.

And I don't really get why there is only one 5k monitor on the market, not only in Apple stores, but anywhere, there is literally no other 5k model .

I really hope Apple will release new Apple made 5k display with a similar design to 6k, with a price of this current LG model :/

Reactions: AAPLGeek

WP31

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2020
Asus is right, the 5k is significantly more pixels than a 4k. It impacts every aspect of the experience; you need a better GPU, connectivity basically requires TB3, any additional in-line ports will be 'throttled', scaling tax, etc. The benes are sweet sweet retina quality hiDPI. That's basically it. If you like the smooth images then go for 5k.

It is a little like refresh rate to me. Lots of people chase super fast refresh rates and I can't tell the difference. I couldn't even tell you what my monitors rates are or if I've ever seen a fast refresh rate before. It's just not a thing for me. Some people are like that with pixels. They are fine with low DPI and don't see the difference between 2k and 5k (on the same sized screen of course).

Then there is the old Apple 'on average, 4k looks best on ~23/24 inch screens @1080 and 5k looks best on 27" screens @1440' deal. People dont like being hemmed into that box but Apple is basically right. So frankly, the market is isn't producing more 5k screens because there isn't demand. Sale rates of the LG and Dell monitors are low (Dell quit and LG is slowing production) and the general computer setup can't really deal with pushing 5k well (present interlocutors excluded, of course:)). Heck, everyone wants/likes USB-C, which couldn't even handle 5k until 3.1, and even now it's not optimized for 5k like TB3 is. Basically, 5k is ahead of its time.

Saad-M

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
I brought this display twice from the Apple online store and returned twice due to quality issues. In theory it is an awesome display. But LG have terrible QA so I'd personally avoid. It's such a shame.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd look for something else.
And that's all I've got to say about that...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.