Opinions on Macbook vs. Macbook pro for photoshop need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jv-iphone, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jv-iphone macrumors newbie

I am currently looking at purchasing one of the new style Macbooks or Macbook Pro's. I have a side graphic design Business and I do alot of photoshop work with some big RAW images, I also do photography and want to have a portable laptop to show clients some work or mock ups when Im on the road. I am unsure of the capability of the Macbook for this kind of work. I am currently using an HP zd7020us with a P4 processor with 2GB of Ram and an Nvidia Geforce4 5600 video card running XP. I mainly use photoshop CS3, and sometimes after effects. I do most of my out on the go work on this machine, its a little slow but it gets the job done. I have a 20" iMac that I use for any video editing or post production photoshop work before I print stuff. I am not sure I will need firewire, but I guess if I get an HD video camera it might be the way to go. I am also thinking the 15" screen is better for doing photoshop on. Can you guys give me some opinions, I was looking at getting the top Macbook, or the entry level Pro with 4GB ram.

2. jv-iphone thread starter macrumors newbie

wow 82 views and no comments.. thanks guys big help. ;)

3. polar-blair macrumors regular

If you can afford the MBP go for it, its what Im getting, I too will be using Photoshop, and after effects and the rest of the suite. Photoshop Isnt very GPU intensive but with snow leopard coming up and the ability to use the GPU for extra power will be very beneficial.

Also Having a bigger display will help with using photoshop as you said. Im sure the new MB's will handle it fine, but if you can get the MBP I say go for it.

Plus fire wire is an extra bonus :D

4. photoGrant macrumors member

With an attitude like that, I'm not surprised.

If you have a machine dedicated to 'pre-press' work - colour correction, final cut, etc. Then I'd suggest getting the Macbook as the Macbook Pro only really offers the advantages that you'll be getting from your iMac.

5. ipponrg macrumors member

People probably didn't feel compelled to answer your question because it's so blatantly obvious.

MBP has a larger screen and better display.

6. photoGrant macrumors member

But like he said later on in the paragraph

I personally think the MBP would be the perfect option, if money permitted, but if it's tight, the Macbook would work perfectly fine for his workflow

7. KSpider macrumors regular

I agree, macbook would be fine... But the bigger screen on the MBP is what made my decision the easiest. I do artwork on it, not very graphic intensive, but I just cant do it on the 13"

8. jv-iphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your help, I was obviously kidding about the no responses as showed by the wink. I was just asking for opinions, most likely I will go with the MBP, If anything a few things i found out was that the screen display is bigger and also is easier to view at multiple angles vs the macbook, also rather have firewire and not use it then to not have it and need it. Another thing from what I am reading Photoshop CS4 uses the GPU for some tasks and the 2nd card will be great for that, throw in the ability to use dual GPU's down the road (hopefully) and the express card slot as well and Im sold. Now Ill prob wait till Jan, to see if the 17" is released and if it has some more "Pro" features.

9. emt1 macrumors 65816

Photoshop CS4 makes excellent use of the GPU. Go for the Pro.