Opinions on my case/screen protector possibilities

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SweetLou122, Nov 3, 2011.

1. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

Hey all, been reading these forums for a while. Currently have the old 3g, got it when it first came out and decided not to get the 3gs or the 4. I'm probably getting the 4s next week and have been looking at just about every case option.

I would like to use a front and back film protector or skin of some sort, as just with my 3g having a case without something on the back can scratch it up as badly as if there was no case. It seems people use any type for the back, SGP crystal, power support crystal or ebay cheepo. Im looking for one that will work with a case or stand alone. I might do a skin on the back instead of a protector, (gelaskin, lucky labs etc.) does this protect as well or work with cases?

As for the front screen protector, I have a Zagg IS on the front of my 3, and I don't really care for it. It's too thick and gets too greasy, but I did like the HEAVY scratch protection. So I'm probably looking for something anti glare/fingerprint. The power support hd anti-glare is probably my first suspect, along with the SGP ultra optics (heard very mixed opinions about this one) or the SGP Ultra Fine (mostly good reviews). I would need It to work with a case though, so I'm not sure if thinner is better in this situation or what. Also haven't seen too much about bodyguardz, what is the opinion of their stuff over here?

As for the case....lol I'm sure as you guys know this is an ongoing decision. My first choice would probably be the otterbox commuter but fitment/quality control issues piqued my interest. I would like something slim, preferably back coverage, with a small lip on the front to protect the front screen. I have also looked at the Incipio NGP (Seems too much like silicon flex wise), Marware duoshell, Case Mate tough case (only like the Chuck Anderson ones would rather make a custom skin with his art), Griffin Reveal, spec geo (only if i get black). Other Suggestions, esp that work with front and back protectors/skins?

I would like to get a nice bumper(aluminum or not, just can't stand the 100$ standard price for these things!) to compliment a nice skin (s far as skins go, how do Slickwraps, Trunket, KARVT, Gelaskins, Lucky Labs, compare? Theyre probably all good, just wondering.)

Sorry for the long read, this really isnt an end all be all solution, but just some ideas to get on the right track compatibility wise. Any feedback would be much appreciated,

Thanks -Lou

2. SweetLou122 thread starter macrumors regular

3. dexterking macrumors newbie

I have a Slickwraps Stainless Steel.. The best quality and I've purchased from other skin companies.

4. julesw macrumors member

julesw

my fav case is the xshot, its good if you use your phone in rough environments,
    its really made to use with a tripod and has tripod fittings you can take off if you dont need them - its bulky but rugged.

5. takeshi74, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Different people use different screen protector as they have different priorities. Not all cases are identical do it's not just a matter of finding the "right" screen protector. What case are you intending to use? The case definitely will play a major role in your decision.

Again, for your question on skins -- not all cases are identical so it's impossible to give you a one-size-fits-all answer. Skins are as good as some cases (the thin ones that offer little protection) but not as good as others.

tl dr isn't helping you. Even I got tired of reading by the time you finally started to discuss cases you were considering. Keep it short and sweet.

Don't overlook searching/Googling on options you're considering.

Any case with a lip that overlaps the front edges of the screen is a potential problem for screen protectors.

6. jekyoo macrumors 6502

I have the SGP steinheil ex ultra fine body protector and I love it. I bought this purely because the back is also ultra fine and it's a dry method. Fingerprint free FOR THE WIN! The steel band protectors suck though.

You do sacrifice the quality of the retina display with the anti-glare screen protectors but it's worth it to me. I've had the ultra crystal before and I couldn't stand constantly cleaning my screen.

7. SweetLou122 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I could have shortened it to, What are people's favorite slim case with a front lip, and something inside to keep the case from digging grit into the phone or work with back screen protectors or skins. And what skins/protectors people most like to use with those cases (anti glare)

The commuter and tough case are in the middle between something slim and something like the defender/ballistic hc etc. But I have read mostly bad things about the new commuter fitment wise and quality wise.

Like I said, sorry for the long read. Trying to answer to many questions with one thread

8. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I am also looking for an slim case that also has a lip.

Currently I was considering a few cases:

Griffin Reveal

Speck Seetrhu

Switcheasy Vulcan.

I asked if someone owned them and could give me some feedback on their thickness and if they take full body decals but no answers.

9. hizzaah macrumors 6502

It's hit of miss with the commuter it seems. I know many are posting issues with it on here, but I for one love my commuter. Slim and durable.

People have to remember that most people won't feel compelled to come online and say how happy they are with something. They come online to complain about stuff. I'm sure otterbox has sold hundreds of thousands of cases, and they have superb customer service. So even if you do get one that's a bit off, they'll work with you to get it fixed. Just my 2cents.

10. trek360 macrumors 6502

My recommendation would be for the powersupport crystal. I think the crystal preserves the the retinal display more accurately. I think the anti glare are a little grainy. It's all individual so you'll have to try it and see what you like. I have a front and back and it works great with my case.

I'm using the Acase superleggera which is very similar to the otter box commuter. The fit is outstanding. It provides a good balance of protection without adding a lot of bulk. There is a small lip on the front so you can lay it face down. It has worked fine with my camera and flash. I am using the standard apple headphones and charger cord which work fine, but it won't fit in charger dock with case on. It fits in my pocket well and is easily accessed.

Best of all it was less than $15 on amazon. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And at that price even if you find something else down the line you're not out much.

----------

Btw...

It's the acase superleggera PRO case.

There are a few threads about it if you search the forum.

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

If you are looking for a slim case that will allow for screen protectors on both the front and back without interference I highly recommend the following:

Screen protectors - nothing beats Power Support for quality, longevity and ease of application.

I've tried at least 10 different cases and my two favorites are Sonix Snap Case and the Case Crown Glider.

The problem I've had with cases that offer a lip over the screen is that they cause the screen protector to bubble up. Neither of these will cause that problem as they do not cross up over the top of the screen but clip on the metal part of the phone. The Glider does give face down protection on a table with a minuscule edge that comes up higher than the screen but doesn't interfere with it. The Sonix snap has "stilts" which also offer the flat lay down
    protection.

Both of these are inexpensive cases that can be purchased on Amazon and are definitely my "go to" cases with the Sonix actually being my favorite. I've had a couple of light drops with my Sonix on and no damage to the phone or the case. Now don't get me wrong neither of these will give the protection of an Otterbox but they are both slim, in different color options and minimalistic (especially the Sonix as the logo is the same color of the case and embedded).

12. SweetLou122 thread starter macrumors regular

I am liking the vulcan. They're prices are somewhat sane, with plenty of stuff they throw in. The eclipse and vulcan are in the top few.

The sonix looks interesting, but if I were to go that route, It would most likely be the Magpul executive field. Need some drop protection, even though I will most likely get applecare + or best buy ins (Can anyone comment on which is better? ) I had the bb ins (15 a mo) on my iphone 3g for about a year, cancelled it and never had to make a claim. Applecare + is 99 plus 50 for any claim.

So far my ranking is
    Screen protector 1) Powersupport ag hd and crystal back
    2) sgp ultra fine front & crystal back
    3) one of the top two + back skin

Case
    1) OB Commuter or Switcheasy vulcan
    2) NGP Matte
    3) superleggera pro (could be 1 if no flash issue)