Opinions on One to One for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jumpthrough, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jumpthrough macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm getting my first MBP in a few weeks, I'm giddy with anticipation, and was wondering if anyone here has purchased the One to One year long membership with their Macs-and what you thought about it?

I have never used a Mac before (except for my IPAD), and I want to make sure I can get the most out of it, so I am thinking about purchasing the additional "help" if you will.

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Although I have zero experience with it and know nobody that has used it, if the money is not an issue for you and you're not the most tech-savvy person then I expect that there is much you could learn from signing up for it.

However I believe almost anything that you could learn from it you could find yourself on the internet, although it just won't come in the professional way you'd get it from the lessons.

3. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I've never used it myself, but I've always found the Apple store people to be very helpful.

The Mac is not difficult to learn. You will even notice similarities from your iPad. Be sure to take advantage of all the free services they offer when you buy it too. They'll help you get all set up in the store, and help you migrate your files from your old PC.

If you're a seasoned PC user, you'll likely transition just fine. If not, or if you really just want to know everything, buying the One to One service can't hurt.

Good luck, and welcome to the dark side.

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

5. Uffish Thought macrumors member

As this is my first Mac too, I bought it, and really like the service.

They took my PC and MBP and transfered everything for me.

The in-house teaching for the iLife programs are really great, taught in a group setting.

What it is really helpful for is the personal teaching for Pages, Keynote etc. Just come in with a project idea, maybe start it, and they quickly get you going, then check back frequently as you make progress on your own.

$100 for a year of personal training, can't beat it.

6. FooDog11, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

FooDog11 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't do it again

Hi! I was in a similar position last year when I purchased my MBP13, and I did go with the One to One membership. Honestly, it was only very minimally helpful in my case.

I was a reasonably proficient Windows user, and I found I had usually answered my own questions by the time I got to my One to One appointments. When I had more complex questions or migration issues, the genius helping me often didn't know the answer either. Though they were very helpful in getting additional help or otherwise researching the answer for me. In most cases, the stuff they wanted to explain to me was so basic I could have fairly easily figured it out on my own if I had not already done so.

I learned a lot by lurking here, and Googling references I didn't understand. And I picked up a "switching to the Mac" book (impulse buy at Barnes & Noble, same day I bought the MBP), which was pretty helpful for the first couple of weeks. And I fiddled around a lot with my shiny new toy. :)

If my dad was going to get a Mac, I'd suggest the service for him, since he's not very gadget confident. But it was kind of a waste for me. So I guess it depends on your level of comfort.

Sorry so long. Hope that helps. And congrats!

ETA: Didn't try any of the group classes. Now I kinda wish I had.

7. Jumpthrough thread starter macrumors newbie

This sounds a lot like me, I'm pretty PC savvy, and I was also kind of thinking about just opting for the free group classes instead!

Thanks for the quick replies everyone-this is helpful stuff!