opinions on PGP Whole Disk Encryption

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maflynn, Feb 26, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    My company is rolling out this for their macs and I'm curious to know what you guys thinks about it.

My home mac has a partition for linux and for OSX, plus I'm generally concerned about interacting with the system when the disk is encrypted. Since its my home mac I really want to avoid needing to load this on. They're setting up policy that you must use whole disk encryption if you wish to log in via vpn - at least for windows and macs. Since I also use Linux I think I have a loop hole :)

I'm still curious to hear people's opinion on PGP whole disk encryption.
  2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    I've never found this necessary for personal use. That is, encrypting all my hard drives. I just use TrueCrypt volumes to store the files I need to keep secure. But it is a good idea to use the shred command when you delete stuff like old tax receipts and what not. I'm not about to redo my setup so I can keep my music and movies encrypted. :eek:

If you have a small little netbook, for example, with sensitive work info then yes I'd encrypt the drive. I wouldn't bother with my home desktop, though.
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Disk encryption in a corporate setting is generally viewed as a good way to secure data against attack... unfortunately it's not (at least by itself). Encryption attacks rarely occur these days. You'd be far better served by forcing complex passwords, anti-phishing training, and general employee awareness of the less-hyped attack vectors one could be exposed to.