Opinions on Shake

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cromulent, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I have been considering upgrading my video software (upgrading to FCS2 and getting Logic Studio 8) but I was wondering what everyones opinions were when it came to Shake. I know it is great software and I am not really calling that into question I am more interested in what people think in regards to the fact that Apple have said that they are not developing it any more.

Do you think that will take it and do anything with it in the future (add it to FCS 3 maybe?) or will it just be buy it and be happy with what you have got? If so I'm not too fussed but I would rather know in advance if that is the case.

To be honest I half expected it to be included in FCS 2 before I knew about Colour.

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

It's the general consensus that Apple is changing Shake into a knew program code named Phenomenon. This implies that Shake will just be dropped (probably not sold anymore) after that option comes out. Apple has added some of Shake's features to Final Cut Studio such as Steadicam and pixel tracking. I don't know how much you would use it if you had FCS2.

Myself, I use it often an it is a main part of my post workflow. I use it for things as simple as slow motion (Shake's frame interpolation is amazing compared to FCP's speed changer) to green screen compositing (again, Shake is amazing in this regard).

I would say that if you plan on doing any green screening or 3D compositing, Shake is a must have for the price.

P-Worm

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As P-worm said, bits of pieces of Shake have appeared in the new FCP and Motion and Apple is working on some sort of "Shake replacement" that was originally said to be out in 2008. But that announcement was made in 2006 and, AFAIK, there is no new info and considering all that Apple has had on it's plate recently (Leopard, iPhone, FCS 2, Final Cut server) I'll doubt we'll be seeing "Phenomenon" on store shelves next year.

Lethal

4. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Seeing as Shake is only £159 with the HE discount I guess it really is the best value for money when it comes to high end 3D composition. Thank you for your help.

As for the new application I'm not holding my breath and considering the price of Shake I guess it makes sense to get it now and get some use out of it.

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Shake is a wonderful tool, and for the current price it's a steal. If you are at least a little interested in compositing, I wouldn't think twice about it - if for no other reason than to learn about compositing. The learning curve is steep, be prepared for that, but what you learn will be invaluable in the future, whether with Phenomenon or some other tool.

- Martin