Opinions on Siri availability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nathanneuroticx, Oct 6, 2011.

1. nathanneuroticx macrumors newbie

As an iPhone 4 user, Siri is a feature that I wish I'd have on my current phone.

Does anyone else think that Siri is purely software and COULD be rolled out on the previous iPhone and even the iPad?

And if it is simply software, could Siri become available in a jailbreak?

Interested to hear what you guys think.

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Siri is a gimmick... very slick, and obviously attracting attention.

Check back in a year, I bet Siri will be of very little significance.

I'll never have a use for it, that's for sure.

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I think it's likely that JB'ers will try to graft Siri into iOS 5 on prior models. I don't think the result will be very good. It may not work because Apple found a solid way to refuse Siri services to non-genuine devices; it may not work to your satisfaction because it requires more performance than you get from earlier devices.

Or more likely the code won't even run because it's dependent on the dual-core A5 CPU.

4. nathanneuroticx thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm hopefully.
    Yeah, without the A5 it would certainly lack in speed, but I'd imagine it'd still work.

5. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

i completely disagree. This may be the future, Apple's new innovation. Mouse, than music, multitouch and now maybe communicating with machines.

Siri can be the baby steps, they have the potential to "change" the way we use computers. They've changed a lot of things you know, this thing can be the future. Hal 9000 :)

anyone agree?

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I agree that it needs an audience and time before we will really know how it fits into the landscape.

I disagree with posters that have to derail every thread by ignoring the original posed question so they can spew their typical negativity all over. We get it, it isn't for everyone. Don't post if you don't like it.

Back on topic - I don't think Apple is going to allow Siri on models earlier than 4s. They are using it as a way to drive sales of new devices. Jailbreaks are another story, however...