Opinions on Site for Local Rock Band

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by steelphantom, Nov 18, 2009.

1. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Hey guys,

I started working on a web site for my brother's band, The Leafs, in order to help them out and also to pad my resume a little bit. The site is functionally pretty much complete; the only new feature I'm going to add is a "gear list" for each individual band member on the Band page. The gear lists will show all the equipment each member in the band uses (guitars, amps, drums, etc.).

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as tweaks I could make to the layout, additional features I could add, or anything else? Any and all comments are appeciated! :)

http://www.theleafsband.com/

2. designguy79 macrumors 6502

I would recommend changing the color of the button/menu bar -- the brown/green color there clashes with the bright green of the logo.

Here is a good resource for finding good color schemes:

http://kuler.adobe.com

Have fun!

3. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Thanks for the link! That looks like it will be a very helpful site. I thought it might have clashed a little bit with the logo, and had some other people comment the same thing. I decided to make it a little more green and less brown. Let me know if you think this is any better: http://www.theleafsband.com/

4. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Better, but I think it would look best with the charcoal gray (like the shirt) and then use the neon green for the letters.

5. eleven2brett macrumors regular

The band page's paragraph is kinda chunky. You may want to break it up a bit.

6. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Good point. I split things up into 3 paragraphs. It seems to make more sense that way anyway.

designguy: I don't really like the idea of a dark grey menu bar with green text... Just not feeling it. I don't know.

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

It's very important you listen to your gut. Usually the first instinct is the right one, in my experience. Now the one thing I would like to add is green does not necessarily mean "tree green" or "apple green" (yellow and red, respectively, on the palette wheel). A combination of gray and green that does work is if the green has a cool tint applied to it, i.e. green with a little black or violet and toned down in hue. Quite lovely.

Example:

[​IMG]

The ocean represents a similar green hue, the sky as pale gray, and notice that either a dark blue (mountains) or charcoal color (beach) could be used as accent colors for borders, font, content area heaeders, etc. This combination is a "complimentary" palette example, and I hope you find it interesting that I chose this picture intentionally to demonstrate you really can't go wrong if you stick to palette combinations found in nature.

Even if you dislike this palette (which is perfectly fine, you're entitled) I'm demonstrating this is the kind of stuff you might imagine in your head as you decide on a site's color theme. And to be reminded about basic concepts of color theory (cool, warm, hue, complimentary, etc.) as your design comes to life. Consider this reply inspiration if anything else. Thanks!

-jim