Opinions on T3i

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NYRangers11, Dec 23, 2011.

1. NYRangers11 macrumors member

I currently have a Nikon D40. I got it at a really good price when it was finally discontinued and went on sale at Staples. I have a chance to sell it now for about $200 to a co-worker. I would then add some $ and possibly buy a T3i. One of the things the D40 lacks is any video shooting capability. From what i read online on the various reviews is that the T3i is a really good beginner camera with a video capability that is not all that. I can honestly live without the video and just keep using my D40 which at this point is fine. But I'm thinking i can take this chance to sell the D40 and upgrade. Basically do you guys think the upgrade is worth it?

2. BillMidwest macrumors newbie

You may also want to take a look at Sony's A55 or NEX-5N and the Nikon D5100. Sony has targeted cameras at all levels, entry to semi-pro, as a priority and their technology and innovation prove it. I wouldn't have considered a Sony 2-3 years ago; today it's an easy choice.

3. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

I personally would go for the T2i its just as good as the T3i (it has the same sensor, body, software, image processor, kit lens, ect.) but it costs anywhere from $100-$300 less. The T2i can also shoot 1080p HD video and take 18MP pictures. The only major difference in the cameras is the T3i's swivel screen.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

5. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

t2i and D3100 seem like great alternatives. Looks like its gonna come down to me either keeping the old D40 or scratching an extra $400 together and getting something new once the D40 is sold.

6. Bokehlicious, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

Bokehlicious macrumors newbie

The video on the t3i, t2i, 60d, and 7d are equivalent. They all shoot video well, but none of the canon dslrs autofocus while shooting video.

Here's something to chew on when upgrading. I always thought the tilty-swively-screen was a gimmick until I tried a canon 60d, a dslr with it. If you use your dslr to take pictures from low perspectives, you can use the swivel screen with live view to save your back and clothes from getting dirty. Also, if you use the dslr to film video above your head, at waist level, at ground level, or on a dolly, the swivel screen is a huge advantage.

I believe the swivel screen is no longer a gimmick. It is very helpful and I can't imagine going back to a dslr that doesn't have such a feature. It doesn't really matter if you go canon or nikon, but I really urge you to try out the tilt & swivel screens from both camps.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

The T2i can have a custom firmware which adds lots of cool video features (and some photo stuff).
    I don't know if it works on the t3i.
    http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

I have a T2i and I really like it. I have no clue what 90% of the functions do, but it takes great pictures of my cat on the auto modes :D..... I suck.

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

part of this is true, part of this is NOT

yes, the t2i and t3i have the same sensor, body, image processor, etc)

HOWEVER, it is NOT $300 more expensive. You can get a t3i body only from BH photo for $670 - only $80 more than the t2i.

as stated you get a swivel screen with the t3i, BUT the majot advantage of a t3i - especially for video people - is the t3i gives you the ability to MANUALLY control the audio. This is HUGE! and something the t2i does NOT offer. This feature alone is WELL worth the extra $80

get the the t3i

9. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

Oh... really? I saw the T3i at Costco for $800... I guess they mark up there price a lot. And yes you are correct the swivel screen is a big deal, but personally i would never use it and just see it as another part that can break. And the manual control of the audio is only important, and correct me if im wrong, if you plug in an external mic, but if you use the internal for home movies and stuff its the same.

10. WRP macrumors 6502a

Go find a broken Canon point and shoot for $10. Use the Canon Loyalty program and get 20% of their refurb prices. Done.

Articulating screen isn't worth the extra dollars in my opinion. You're gonna Magic Lantern it anyway so forget about the audio changes in the t3i.
    Digital zoom is crap.
    The only other thing worth any additional money is the radio trigger but not a lot of people in this price point care about that.
    Other than those changes the image you are going to capture with the t3i will be identical to the t2i.

That's my $.02. I'd save that $$$ and put it toward some new glass personally.

But to each their own.

11. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

12. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

the manual audio control works for the internal mic as well

13. Lenry macrumors newbie

new lower price for the T3i at BH

check it out, the T3i body at BH. Price: $624.95 4/9/2012

14. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Just make sure you are okay with moving to canon ergonomics/workflow. I think this is the most important factor. If you don't like how the camera operates then it will be a downgrade no matter the camera specs.

15. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I faced a similar choice and chose the T2i over the T3i. I chose to purchase at Best Buy as I had $100 in reward zone certificates (about $500 after sales/discounts).

You really need to decide for yourself if the added features are (or will be) useful to you.

16. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I don't see anything in your post suggesting any need to upgrade.

17. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

recently gave up my 7d (which I miss so much), and recently got a t3i to hold me over for 5 months until I get a 5DIII....

The Camera is a good camera as stated as some nice little upgrades from the 2ti, but will do the same work. the Flip screen is ideal and a nice way to see picks without having to drop to your belly on low pictues all the time.

Once I get enough saved up I will pass this on to my 13yr old who is into photography.

But ultimately get to your local bestbuy and get your hands on the different models. See what works best for you.

also to add i picked this up for 899 with a kit of goodies and an extra lens.

18. SithTracy macrumors newbie

SithTracy

Not sure how much glass you have for the D40, but switching systems is a huge choice. I own the T3i and love it, but the kit lenses are not well suited for video. I have a couple of constant aperture F2.8 zooms for video and they work great (I'll stress, added cost). Also the cheap nifty fifty (EF 50mm f1.8 II) rocks for video with something to grip the focus ring added on.

The manual vs autofocus should be a non issue... The D5100 picks up focus noise in the mic (I imagine the same can be said on the D3100). The Canon, you just need to depress the shutter button half way to adjust AF, but I still use MF anyway. I use the camera for both (more for) photos and video. I love it, but if you are invested in Nikon, stick with it. Both systems are good ones.

19. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I have a t3i got it a while back for 600 with the kit lens.... Nice camera to learn and get better pics on.

20. ndpuckhead macrumors member

I got the T3i a couple months ago and am very happy with it. As stated before, the swivel screen is great for video and low-angle shots. Another thing I like about it is that you can flip it around so you don't expose the screen when you are storing it. The only negatives I've heard about the T3i's video capabilities is that it can overheat when shooting longer videos, but haven't experienced that myself yet.