Opinions on this craigslist ad for a Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by btbla23, Oct 2, 2008.

1. btbla23 macrumors newbie

Hi! This would be my first time using craigslist and I really want a MacBook for my 21st bday so I have been searching around for deals and such. I have been emailing back and forth with this seller a couple of times and it seems legit. But I wanted to make sure if I should ask more about it or what to look for if I do decide to purchase it . We would most definitely meet at a public place and I would bring my dad with me for security lol. Thanks so much for any help you can provide!:)

Here is the post: They are asking $900 for it.
    1 YR USED WHITE MACBOOK
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDRS SDRAM

- just replaced hard drive 160GB under warranty until DEC 22, 2008
    - will give all receipts
    - originally bought for over $1500

PINK SPECK PLASTIC CASE FOR FREE
    FREE MAC OFFICE 2008 TO DOWNLOAD WITH 2 KEYS FOR FREE
    (COMBINED OVER 200$ YOURS FREE!)

ONLY SERIOUS INQUIRIES PLEASE
    MUST PAY CASH
    HOPING TO SELL ASAP!

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Seems ok, but make sure he provides the Leopard CDs. The mac office to download seems dodgy, probably downloaded from the internet unless he/she has the CD. Not a reason to cancel the deal though.

Also ask what else it comes with, power adaptor etc. I guess you can assume, but its best to know!

Hope this helps.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If it matters, you might want to ask about the optical drive type and battery condition. If the price is right, you may not care.

Also, having the box can be a good sign of a non-stolen laptop. [edit - op says receipts so that would be the ultimate non-stolen proof ;)]

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I suspect that this MacBook is less than one year old - were the 2.4GHz Penryn models not announced in February 2008 ? If the hard-drive was replaced by Apple last week the warranty receipt will show 90 days warranty so that is where the Dec 22 date comes from.

Seems like a good deal if the machine is only 7 or 8 months old..maybe even less.

5. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Ask for the serial number, than run it on the Apple support page...No serial number NO DEAL...

6. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

If you bought Office 2003 in the 6 months between the date when office 2008 was supposed to come out and the day it actually came out you had the option of getting one copy of the full blown office or 3 licenses of the student and teacher version.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Go for it! But meet at your bank and withdraw your cash right there on the spot. Don't carry it around beforehand.

Not a bad deal at all, but if he can provide receipts, it's got to be legit. If your meeting terms are reasonable, and he agrees, you can trust him. If he seems a bit dodgy about agreeing on the meeting, then beware. But it looks like on this one, you shouldn't have problems.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers