Opinions on Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FloridaMac, Dec 15, 2008.

1. FloridaMac macrumors regular

What are y'alls opinions on Time capsule? Is it worth it?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That depends...

How much do you trust your current, single hard drive with your data?

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Kind of depend if it's worth your money If you were to buy it. If you need the time capsule to back up your files it's a pretty good option...If you are just looking for a router to do wireless then not really...

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I love mine. It is one less thing I have to worry about.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Personally, I think it is the other way around. If you need a wireless router then a Time Capsule is well worth the money.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

You have to compare it to other options for running Time machine. If you buy an Airport Extreme then you can add your own disk(s). There is a large advantage to this (1) You can use several disks and rotate them, keeping one off site. (2) you can use a very large disk or even a Drobo. (3) When the TM disk fails it is easy to replace.

But Time Capsule makes for less clutter, cables and power blocks.

Third option is to use a simple external disk and plug it in directly to your computer.

Any way you do it, make sure you have multiple backups, hopefully not all stored inthe same building.

9. coogee macrumors regular

Probably not. Has nice white box though. Don't use Time Machine myself, I'm just a Home User I don't need to back up my machine, just my data which I do myself to External HDD (Time Capsule + other NAS boxes).

If my iMac fails, I reinstall it, not sure regular consumers need Time Machine so badly, not this one anyway :confused:

I needed a Router and HDD at the same time, hence my purchase.

No complaints with the Time Capsule, speed is OK, Airdisk feature is useful but unless you need Router and External HDD, or have a hankering for Time Machine, I'd say it's not worth it.

10. pokytrokyt macrumors newbie

Time Capsule

Pro:
    I use mine to provide a wireless network for a Mac Mini, an HP wireless printer, and my new MB Pro. Works great, though the first time you use it to back up your Mac using Time Machine, connect your Mac to the Time Capsule directly via an ethernet cable. After that initial backup, the incremental Time Machine backups can all be done wirelessly. My 500GB Time Capsule backs up both my Mac Mini and my MB Pro.

I'm getting ready to attach a USB HDD to the Time Capsule, so both my Macs will also have a wireless shared hard drive.

As a router the Time Capsule has been rock solid, and the absolutely necessary WPA security encryption for wireless traffic was not very difficult to configure.

Con:
    The Time Capsule is a combined router and Network hard disk(NAS). If you only need one or the other, there are less expensive solutions than Time Capsule.

You cannot partition or reformat the NAS, though you can attach USB external hard disks to the Time Capsule for additional, partition-able storage.

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I ultimately decided not to get a Time Capsule, opting instead to hang a 500GB FW drive off my MBP for TM back-ups. If I didn't already have an AEBS and an Airport Express, plus several b/g wireless devices on my network, I probably would have gotten a Time Capsule.

12. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

had a 500Gb TC and at first thought it the best thing since slice bread , then once i worked out file transfers was slow as a three leg dog - i sold it and got a 500Gb FW800 drive

Happy day's again ;)

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you call 40mBYTES/s slow?