Opinions on used versus new, please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twomiracles, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. twomiracles macrumors regular

    Dec 30, 2006
    Okay, I finally have the go ahead to get a Macbook and had decided to wait for November 6th to see what happens, but am only able to afford the mid-level Macbook on my budget. If I could get a used MBP, the 2.16 processor with 2 gigs of RAM and 2 years of applecare for about what I'd pay new (just including tax, no applecare on new machine), would it be a good buy? Would it be preferable to what we can realistically expect of the upgraded MacBook?
  2. scottlinux macrumors 6502a


    Sep 21, 2005
    The 2GB of ram in the MBP make that deal very tempting...
  3. jstad macrumors regular


    Jun 13, 2007
    Unless you really need the superdrive on the midlevel macbook. Do what I did. Buy a new macbook (for the new apple smell) and then pull the HD and RAM and upgrade it (if you need to). It cost me a total of ~$150 to upgrade to 2GB of RAM and 160GB HD. Hell of a deal if you ask me, and it doesnt void the warranty. If your not comfortable with doing that then go ahead and take the MBP.
  4. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

    Dec 30, 2006
    I don't really think I do need the SuperDrive as I have an iMac that has one of those. I don't need the hard drive as I store almost everything on an external. I have already bought 2 sticks of RAM (Best Buy has PNY 1GB on sale this week for $39.99, FYI), but of course I could take them back since they aren't opened. Guess I'll wait it out for November 6th and see what comes along (or doesn't).

  5. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 3, 2007
    In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
    I would get the refurb, they are usually of similar quality as retail, and slightly cheaper :D.
  6. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

    Dec 30, 2006
    Well, it's not a refurb, it's on ebay. It was originally listed last week, but the winning bidder was Russian so he relisted it. He has positive feedback and has been very responsive to my questions so I feel the seller is an honest guy. One main factor for me is the AppleCare since I can't afford to put that on mine now, anyway. I know I have a one year warranty, but even then it's another hundred plus investment when I do decide to buy it. I know this one has a great graphics processor and does already have the 2 GB of RAM plus it's bigger. I do use Photoshop CS3 and really do like the idea of the bigger screen. I really don't see how the new MacBooks (if they happen) will be better than this one, but I'm not an expert, this is only my second Mac. It is the 2.16 C2D processor, has 2 GB of RAM, the 256MB graphics card. Unless the MBs get a really nice upgrade, it should still outrun the mid level one, right?
  7. dogtanian macrumors 6502


    Jun 26, 2007
    Bournemouth, UK
    Damn those Ruskies trying to steal our computers :D

    I'd go refurb personally. Plus as an added bonus you do get the new Apple computer smell...
  8. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

    Dec 30, 2006
    LOL, good point about the "new apple smell", but even the low end MBP refurb is out of my budget. It's pretty much either this one or a new midlevel MacBook. I also qualify for the educational discount so the MacBook refurbs don't save me that much money in most cases.
  9. peapody macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    I was in the same situation as you. I get tired of how supposed new releases just play with our minds, so I just went with a modded blackbook. It saved me abour $300 overall but I still get 250gb hdd, and 2gb memory in a C2D, in mint condition.
  10. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

    Dec 30, 2006
    I guess the major upside is the size and the graphics card. Of course, if I go new, I get Leopard, but right now I can't afford to upgrade my iMac to Leopard on top of the laptop, anyway so I could just buy the family pack later and there's not a huge difference in price between one and the family pack. Plus, I get the aluminum enclosure versus plastic (unless they upgrade the MBs to that) and all the other bells and whistles and two years of AppleCare left on it. It will actually be a little more than a new midlevel MacBook ($1199 plus tax with my ed. discount) plus RAM (already purchased at $80 plus tax), but I'll have the AppleCare and a Pro, even though it is used.

Share This Page