opinions please, is this a fair trade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by duk, Nov 30, 2010.

1. duk macrumors regular

Model is MB470LL/A (A1286) my MBP 2.4, 250, 2gb perfect condition
    for
    24" iMac, 2.8ghz processor, 4gb ram, 320gb hard drive, the model number is A1225

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would say no. IMO MBP has higher resale value as current iMacs are 21.5" and 27" and with iX CPUs. Basically, the low-end iMac is faster than that 24".

I would ask him to pay a bit cash too, then it's fair if you want an iMac instead of MBP. You could just get an external monitor to make your MBP a desktop. Best of both worlds.

3. duk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.
    I do actually have a 24" monitor (dell ultrasharp 2408wfp) so it is a nice combo.
    I was thinking about selling the mbp and the monitor separately as I recently got a 11" air. Kinda looking for a more powerful desktop to compliment my ultra portable laptop. Perhaps selling them both (mbp and monitor)and go for a refurb new model from apple? in your opinion is there a processor I should get? I noticed they have a 3.06 27" for 1269... but that's not i3 or i5... what is the benefit of the new intels btw?
    thanks for the advice, I am going to pass on that trade.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB953LL/A?cid=AOS-US-AFF-FEED

That's what I recommend. It's a bit more but that is quad core i5, not dual core like the i3s or Core 2 Duos. The cheapest 27" should be just fine for you but the i5 is a bigger bang for your buck and more "future-proof". Of course it depends what you are going to use it for.

5. duk thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense... Thanks!