Opinions Please: My personal statement to my Univeristies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm applying to go to University to do a 3-year Primary School teaching degree, with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).

This is the personal statement I have ready to forward to my universities.

I'd appreciate it if you [have the time] can read it, and let me know what you think.

Thank You :).

"I always remember when I was growing up, an advert on the television with the tag line – “Those who can, teach”.

Growing up in a large family with siblings and step-siblings, I know better than most my age what it’s like to be surrounded by members of the younger generation all day. We have a very warm household, and growing up my siblings’ friends were always popping over to play or to have dinner. Of course, my services as an older brother were called upon very frequently – but if I’m honest, I enjoyed taking the time to be with them.

Only recently, I realised every time I played with my brother and his friends, either in the garden, painting with them, or interacting with them in games like 4-in-a-row – that they were actually learning, and I was teaching them. Every time my brother would go to bed at night, and I would read him a bedtime story – I was teaching him. Every word he listened to me pronounce, he would follow with his finger and learn the spelling. It made me feel really special that I could help him and impact on his life in such a big way – simply by taking the time. This is when I realised I could have a future in teaching.

Ever since I can remember, my Mum has always looked after children. It started out as a favour here and there, but it soon progressed into something regular, and she became a child minder and a teachers’ assistant at our local primary school. Because of her work we always had children in the house, of all ages and all backgrounds. Thanks to this, my knowledge and experience of children has led me to become confident in every situation. My Mum has also recently completed an NVQ in childcare, and I took a great interest in her course. It was so interesting to see her develop her skills and become more assure of herself. It made me realise more than ever that I wanted to teach.

During my first year in Sixth form, we had to take part in a workshop were we would set up activities for the lower end of the school. We would become the teacher, and they would be our pupils. We would go through a huge range of subject choices and activities with them – from talking about difficult subjects such as alcohol, and drugs and other potential problems they might face as young people, to listening exercises were they would be able to voice their concerns or ask questions. We also had a ‘buddy’ system, were the pupils we taught were free to come and talk to us, in confidence, at any time, about anything. This let me build a bond and a relationship with my pupils, and it meant that we had a good, trusting relationship when it came to taking them as a class. It built my confidence to take on the roll, which in turn heightened their trust in me as a teacher. This led to me receiving positive feedback from the class, and knowing that they actually looked forward to seeing me.

I’ve realised from this experience that teaching is a two way street. You need to be patient, direct and confident – making sure you’re generous with your knowledge and your time – whilst teaching in a way which benefits every pupil. The classroom is an equal place, where every single student and teacher is given respect – no matter how easy or difficult the situation or task. Working directly and independently with the children played a big part in why I want to teach. I loved going home at night knowing that not only had I gone to my usual classes and learnt – but that I’d also helped other people, younger than myself.

I enjoy being around children – helping them to learn, to understand new things, and to better themselves. It’s amazing to watch a child’s progress, from when they start to learn something new, through to the end result, and how happy and confident they are in themselves afterward. This gives me a tremendous sense of achievement and the happiness in knowing that I have helped someone progress. This is what I want to do on a daily basis, and pursue through a career in teaching.

I now understand the phrase from the TV, and realise its potential and what it means for me:
    “Those we can, teach” – and I can."

2. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Looks pretty good to me!

Although, aren't we leaving it a little late? :p

3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

No. My school hasnt even started with those yet but we start next week. I'm in L6 if that makes any difference...

4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach..."

"those who can’t do, teach"?

These are the quotes I've heard...Never heard of “Those who can, teach”.

Other then that its nice. Good luck.

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Its part of an advertising campaign in the UK by the government to get more teachers. There is also "Use your head, teach"

6. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

You're asking this on the internet - so you'll probably never understand :eek:

7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt