[Opinions Please] Should I Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sleim031, Jun 26, 2017.

1. sleim031 macrumors member

sleim031

Hey guys!

To cut straight to the point: I currently own a Late 2016 15" TB Macbook Pro with 2.9GHz, 1TB and Radeon Pro 460 - so everything is maxed out except storage.

If I were to upgrade to a 2017 MBP which would be maxed out in the same respect - 3.1GHz, 1TB and Radeon Pro 560 - how much of a performance boost am I looking at?

Don't get me wrong, my machine is amazing and I am loving it so much! The reason why I'm asking is because I can get a very decent deal on the aforementioned 2017 model and given that my current machine has 4 (yes, 4) charging cycles (it was replaced for a new one by Apple due to a Genius breaking my laptop while trying to replace the keyboard) it could be sold for a decent resell price.

So yeah, what is the performance boost here?

2. Mighuel macrumors member

You're looking at a fairly minor improvement in speed (10-20% in synthetic benchmarks like Geekbench) and a tad better support for HEVC and other next gen codecs (http://images.anandtech.com/doci/10959/1-11.png). GPU is basically the same chip rebranded with a minimal performance improvement. Personally, I probably wouldn't upgrade in your situation.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Save you money, the improvements are minor. Not worth the cost, hassle and aggravation .

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

The only difference you'll notice is less money in your bank account. Some people upgrade these things because they must have the latest thing, which is fine if you want to do that. But don't think you'll get a noticeably better experience or anything.

5. Darkashnet macrumors regular

Darkashnet

If it's more than say £200 difference you'll have to pay, I wouldn't bother.

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

It sounds like a good bit of hassle for a little bit of gain.

Do you frequently edit 4k video or do you constantly perform tasks that totally & completely maxes your CPU out?

7. Sterkenburg macrumors member

Minimal performance gain, absolutely not worth the money you would lose. Save your hard-earned cash and wait for a meaningful upgrade while enjoying your great machine in the meanwhile!

8. RickG macrumors regular