opinions please

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kapebretoner, Jun 21, 2011.

1. kapebretoner macrumors newbie

I am 52 years old and suffered from a stroke and a brain aneurysm. I suffered partial paralysis on my left side and I have problems with my cognitive functions. I have struggled with rehab and just wanted to know if I would benefit from owning an ipad 2. I am looking at saving up to buy an ipad 2 32gb. I figured that there would be apps to help sharpen my mind plus keep track of my meds and let me surf the net. there are problably lots of things ipad could do to help me recover.

2. taipan61 macrumors 6502

my ex is a teacher for the severest handicapped children and she wrote her doctoral thesis on the use of tablets as a learning and communication tool, so IMHO the iPad or any tablet would be a great tool to use on a daily basis
    take the time to learn the tablet you purchase and you can always ask for help if needed

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Well, that was certainly a lousy hand you were dealt. I say go for the iPad 2. There are terrific apps which you'll find very helpful as well as entertaining.

One I use is "Alarmed," which would work wonderfully for your med schedule. It has the option to set up reminders at precise times and to repeat those reminders daily for "forever." "Nag" settings, written notes, and a wide assortment of alarm sounds (from elephant bells to star ship warning) to choose from.

Why not visit the App Store and start looking into apps that might be helpful, so you can start compiling a list? And be sure to visit iTunes and look into ITunes U. Lots of good, interesting food for the mind there.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The iPad would be fantastic for what you want to use it for. There are thousands of apps so with a little research you could defenietly find one which works for you and does what you need.

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Assuming u typed your post (no offence) then u should have no problem with an iPad. Thee are many accessability options, to help with some tedious tasks.

6. kapebretoner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am going to check out some apps online and the ipad at the local futureshop.

7. info macrumors member

info

Get it at an Apple Store and you can be sure that you will be well taken care of. Good Luck!

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm a doctoral student in clinical psychology and have worked with clients with cognitive deficits as a result of a stroke. I think the iPad would be great for you. There are many apps that help you use various aspects of cognition to keep you sharp. Also, if money is tight, not that the 16G option is plenty for many users, especially if you will not be traveling.

Sorry to hear about your situation...good health to you.