Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
... one last question do your contacts lenses cover your iris and part of the sclera as well? are they supposed to be fitted to to cover the iris only or iris+sclera?

Just the iris.

I thought I'd correct this information as it could help others. Contact lenses cover the iris and a small part of the sclera. If you have lenses on and you take a close look at your eye, you should see a light blue outline right outside your iris (sclera). So there was nothing wrong with the OP's lenses.

Also, be sure not to wear your contacts inside out. And always remove them before you go to sleep! I know someone who forgot to take them off and now she's partially blind in one eye.

I've been wearing contact lenses ever since I first needed glasses. I don't like wearing glasses as I find them uncomfortable.

I wear 1-Day Acuvue TruEye by Johnson & Johnson.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I wear soft lenses, and taking them out is a breeze. I gently slide it off my iris, and it will produce a "wrinkle" - it's no big deal at all to pinch the lens by this wrinkle and remove it. Takes 3-4 seconds total.

frol

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2017

Also, be sure not to wear your contacts inside out. And always remove them before you go to sleep! I know someone who forgot to take them off and now she's partially blind in one eye.
I wear 1-Day Acuvue TruEye by Johnson & Johnson.
So, it is possible to become blind because of lenses...
My wife wants me to use Fromer Eyes Center... but I am afraid... although she is sure I must go there.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
A bit odd to post this here,but here I go I recently went in to get my eyes checked/fitted for Contact lenses , I have been wearing glasses for the past 8 years or so ... for those who have been wearing contacts for a while any discomfort? risks? feels a bit weird poking your eyeballs out and placing a foreign object on your eyes..... are they truly safe?

I tried contacts but the shape of my eye and the fact that I have astigmatism really make it quite uncomfortable. Like you, I was concerned about poking my eyes but that's not a problem. You will catch on pretty quickly and putting them in and taking them out will become second nature. It really isn't a big deal.

I just can't really wear them too long. I feel the contact in my one eye almost non-stop. I tried several brands and types. The best one for me (and the thinnest I've used) is the Acuvue Oasis with Hydraclear Plus. They are the most comfortable for me, but I still only use them with the Oculus Rift now. Day to day I stick with my glasses.

You have to try them. That's all. Most people are very comfortable, but it's not for everyone.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I tried contacts but the shape of my eye and the fact that I have astigmatism really make it quite uncomfortable. Like you, I was concerned about poking my eyes but that's not a problem. You will catch on pretty quickly and putting them in and taking them out will become second nature. It really isn't a big deal.

I just can't really wear them too long. I feel the contact in my one eye almost non-stop. I tried several brands and types. The best one for me (and the thinnest I've used) is the Acuvue Oasis with Hydraclear Plus. They are the most comfortable for me, but I still only use them with the Oculus Rift now. Day to day I stick with my glasses.

You have to try them. That's all. Most people are very comfortable, but it's not for everyone.

Maybe you should try the Acuvue Oasis with Hydraclear Plus for people with an astigmatism. So that you will have a better fit for your eyes than just plain regular version of these contact lenses.

Here's a link below:
https://www.acuvue.com/contact-lenses/acuvue-oasys-1-day-for-astigmatism

Last edited:

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I can't believe that some people have bi-monthly disposable contact lenses that they wear for solid two weeks meaning that they sleep with there contact lenses on.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
People have different experiences with contact lenses, and I can honestly say that mine has been great. I have been wearing contact lenses since 2010 with no issues or complications whatsoever. I used to wear them for the entire day and only take them off at night, but then I discovered that that really made my eyes dry constantly, so I ended up only wearing them when I am outside while wearing my glasses inside.

If your Doctor says you can wear contact lenses without issues, then do so without fear. I must say I have been contemplating Lasik surgery lately because it will make things much easier and smoother, especially since I know A LOT of people who have done it successfully. I'd look into that if I were you.

p.s. NEVER sleep with your contact lenses on at any case.

Reactions: determined09

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I can't believe that some people have bi-monthly disposable contact lenses that they wear for solid two weeks meaning that they sleep with there contact lenses on.

I kind of fall into that category and have now for like a decade (I know it's not good - however, glasses do not correct my vision well enough for me to be comfortable wearing them for virtually anything, and so I wear contacts right up to the point I go to bed.) Right now I'm using BioFinity and BioFinity Toric. They absolutely were not designed for this, but they do a good job at it. (I realize that my choice here presents a higher risk than removing them daily.)

I try to hit them with a hydrogen peroxide contact solution in between the two week wear interval, for both the antimicrobial action and physical cleaning. (Under amplification, it appears that this type of solution really is more effective in removing buildup.)
[doublepost=1512734035][/doublepost]

How many brands have you tried?

The first three toric lenses I tried were shifting around my right eye like mad every time I blinked or rotated my head momentarily. It was not comfortable and I often wore glasses instead. The next two improved greatly, and at that point corrected my vision far better than glasses. The one after that was golden - although the problem is now I no longer wear glasses for anything because I'm not comfortable performing most tasks. I'm using BioFinity toric - from what I gather, while some brands are better than others, I've observed that certain brands for whatever reason seem to work better with some people than others. I also feel that my current eye doctor is better at fitting toric lenses than the two doctors I previously saw - which presumably has some influence also?

Last edited:

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I wore my contacts the entire 30 days without ever removing them. Did this for years. It was great. I only stopped when I got sick.

I recently tried returning to contacts. The doctor has tried me in several different kinds, but it seems I'm allergic to the contacts themselves now (not any solution). So I'm back to glasses for the next few years, at least until my cataracts are ripe for removal!

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
People have different experiences with contact lenses, and I can honestly say that mine has been great. I have been wearing contact lenses since 2010 with no issues or complications whatsoever. I used to wear them for the entire day and only take them off at night, but then I discovered that that really made my eyes dry constantly, so I ended up only wearing them when I am outside while wearing my glasses inside.

If your Doctor says you can wear contact lenses without issues, then do so without fear. I must say I have been contemplating Lasik surgery lately because it will make things much easier and smoother, especially since I know A LOT of people who have done it successfully. I'd look into that if I were you.

p.s. NEVER sleep with your contact lenses on at any case.

I've only slept with my contacts like a total of three times over the years when I did wear contact lenses( the Conventional ones). I've never the disposable ones. I'm having trouble finding a good eye doctor. I'll think about the LASIK but the trouble would be finding a good surgeon. LASIK is different for everyone. But some people still need eyeglasses after that surgery and some people don't need eyeglasses after that surgery. I know one lady that had that surgery also paid for the lifetime adjustments too. She said it was the best money she ever spent.

Reactions: Tarek

WinkWink726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Pittsburgh Area, PA
I got my first pair of contacts at 13 after begging for them for a long while.
Before the judgement, if there is any, lol.... I have worn glasses since I was old enough to hold them on my face; I had eye surgery as a baby and I have terrible astigmatism. My mom still has my first pair of glasses--they look like they're for a babydoll. Anyway, as an athletic kid who had never known a glasses-free life, my mom felt sympathy for me and with the help and approval of my eye doc, I was blessed with them.

At any rate... I have been literally wearing contact lenses for almost 2 decades and I would never look back.
IF you take care of them and your eyes, you'll be totally fine!

Here's some mistakes that I made as a kid that you can avoid:
If you sleep in them, It will feel like you're ripping your corneas off while trying to get them out.
If you handle them with dirty hands often, you'll likely end up with eye infections.
NEVER EVER EVER use tap water or spit as a means of re-wetting your lenses.
It is possible to have two contacts in one eye and not know it for a day or two. So if you think one fell out, but you can't find it, make super sure that its not just shifted behind your eyelid--that sounds terrifying, but its really not a big deal; its just very uncomfortable when they first lens tries to come out.

Do you have astigmatism, by any chance, or are you just near/far-sighted?

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Great thread, this on. I'm really glad I came across it. Just read the entire thing up to here LOL.

My eyes went off balance in the 80s and vain as I am I immediately went for contact lenses. First I tried soft, then hard gas permeable; did a lot of suffering to cut a long story short. Thankfully the materials they've developed since are much better, I now use silicone hydrogel monthlies, Biofinity brand at present, though I started on Bausch & Lomb PureVision. They were great and I once had a pair last 8 months! Then they changed the formula to PureVision 2 which seem more comfortable on first insertion but you quickly come to understand that they are an inferior product. So I swapped to Biofinity and they are great, really comfortable. I put them in first thing and take them out when I go to bed. Sometime I take a nap in the day without removing them and no problem there. I have slept the night with them too without problems, I remember the original PureVision ones came with advice that you could use them 24/7 but the total duration would be diminished, so rather than 30 days, only 15. What I've noticed is that sleeping or napping with contacts in tends to create more protein build-up, which feels like a tiny grain of sand in your eye. Its actually on the surface of the lens and can be impossible to remove. I use Bausch & Lomb Renu solution which is great and removes proteins as well, and I leave them to soak overnight in solution with a protein remover tablet every couple of weeks too, which helps keep them comfortable. Present lenses have been in for nearly 4 months now, no problem. My prescription is not very serious, I have 1.5 myopia each side, so another thing I can do is swap them over if needs be, if one is irritating one eye for instance chances are it'll be good in the other LOL.

From the thread: Tap water is a no-no. Saliva I never used either, as pointed out its not hygienic. I always wash my hands or at least the fingertips which touch the lens before touching them, and don't dry them as that causes tiny flecks of towel material (they call it lint) to adhere to your fingers which transfers to the lens.

Last edited:

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
If you don't need anything special and just want daily wear, you should look at Hubble contacts.

I use them and I like them a lot, but I’ve also read that they actually use a pretty outdated material that might not be ideal for eye health. So next time I go to my eye doctor, I’m going to ask about other dailies that might be good for me. I’ve only used longer term disposables before this.

I’ve been wearing contacts since I was 13 and love them. Glasses don’t give me peripheral vision, and my prescription is so high that I have to have pretty small frames (to avoid the coke bottle effect), which means prescription sunglasses are pretty much out. And contacts don’t fall off your face when you exercise.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I got my first pair of contacts at 13 after begging for them for a long while.
Before the judgement, if there is any, lol.... I have worn glasses since I was old enough to hold them on my face; I had eye surgery as a baby and I have terrible astigmatism. My mom still has my first pair of glasses--they look like they're for a babydoll. Anyway, as an athletic kid who had never known a glasses-free life, my mom felt sympathy for me and with the help and approval of my eye doc, I was blessed with them.

At any rate... I have been literally wearing contact lenses for almost 2 decades and I would never look back.
IF you take care of them and your eyes, you'll be totally fine!

Here's some mistakes that I made as a kid that you can avoid:
If you sleep in them, It will feel like you're ripping your corneas off while trying to get them out.
If you handle them with dirty hands often, you'll likely end up with eye infections.
NEVER EVER EVER use tap water or spit as a means of re-wetting your lenses.
It is possible to have two contacts in one eye and not know it for a day or two. So if you think one fell out, but you can't find it, make super sure that its not just shifted behind your eyelid--that sounds terrifying, but its really not a big deal; its just very uncomfortable when they first lens tries to come out.

Do you have astigmatism, by any chance, or are you just near/far-sighted?
Yes I have an astigmatism and it's a tricky astigmatism, too. Yes, I'm near-sighted.

Then some lady at work said that there are some contact lenses that are made out of glass but I thought that was the material that was used when contact lenses was first created.

Last edited:

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Then some lady at work said that there are some contact lenses that are made out of glass but I thought that was the material that was used when contact lenses was first created.

LOL

In the 80s and maybe before they used to make them out of hard plastic, first they were known as just hard lenses, then they developed better materials and they were called gas permeable, still hard plastic material, as opposed to the jelly-like soft lenses which are predominant.

USAFA2008

Suspended
Dec 1, 2017
I have worn Dailies for the last 3 or so years and have no issues with them. They aren't uncomfortable for me and I wear them every day. The only times I haven't worn them is when I go outside the wire on deployments. Contacts are not allowed outside the wire because IED explosions can melt the contacts to your eyeballs and worsen any eye injury.

WinkWink726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Pittsburgh Area, PA
ugh, I, too, have astigmatism. I am neither near- nor far-sighted, I am ZERO-sighted without correctives.
My un-corrected world is blurry no matter how near or far I am to the object in question; which plays a large role in why I sleep with mine in waaaaaaayyyyyyy too much and then have to peel them off of my eye with a crowbar on certain days.

its a very terrible thing to not be able to see when you open your eyes.
I have a bit of an irrational fear about it, actually lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.