Opinions - Upgrade 2011 MBA to Yosemite (while it's available)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Internaut, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm a super happy Mavericks user, with a four year old MBA. My laptop still (fingers, toes, etc.) works amazingly well. Is it worth upgrading an MBA, of this vintage, to Yosemite? I'm painfully aware that any upgrade, to a system of this age, could be that one upgrade too far.

2. five04 macrumors member

I have a 2011 MBA with 4GB of RAM and it's totally fine on Yosemite. I can only imagine that performance will get better with El Capitan.

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Yes, I don't see a reason not to. I'm running Yosemite on my 2012 MBA and El Capitan on my 2010 Mac Pro.

Lou

4. krishmk macrumors regular

2011 with El Capitan.. I only use this for browsing and emailing and it works.. no issues with ram or cpu usage.

5. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone - I'll give it a try this weekend.

6. Mike5 macrumors newbie

Mike5

I've got El Capitan beta running on external USB2 drive on MacBook Air 2011 with 2GB RAM - it is unbelievably snappy. Cannot wait for official release to upgrade to El Capitan as my main OS.

7. Gymgenius Suspended

I've got a late 2010 MBA with 4gb which runs Yosemite very smoothly. Go for it.

8. geta macrumors 6502a

9. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I am running a 2010 MBA on Mavericks 10.9.5 and I am not upgrading anytime soon to El Capitain until it gets all Yosemite´s bugs fixed.

10. MultiFinder17, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'm running Yosemite on a 2009 Air with a hard disk (1.86GHz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HDD, Nvidia 9400M), and it runs no slower than any previous recent releases. It's perfectly acceptable to me, although I am thinking that an SSD would be a solid investment in this little fellow at some point now.

11. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that's as good a confirmation as you can get. Spinning disk? You don't know what you're missing. There's a Northern English expression for a well specified Core iX based system, with SSD. Something along the lines of it "It runs like ---t off a shovel"......

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I tried Yosemite, it has the new "flat" look of IOS7+. Am still holding on to IOS6, so you know I quickly went back to Mavericks. YMMV.

13. Woodstockie macrumors member

Woodstockie

I think you will be fine. Just like Multifinder17 I run Yosemite now on my 2010 MBA with 2GB/128GB after running Mavericks and El Capitan. With El Capitan my fans constantly came on (even after a clean install), Mavericks of course runs fine, but fear that it is not going to be supported with (security) updates after this week, so I switched to Yosemite. It runs maybe a bit slower, but it is still working fine for me.

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Oh believe me, I know what I'm missing - every other Mac I have has either an SSD or a Fusion Drive, even going back to my G5 tower :p

This little fellow is my last HDD-based Mac; it's my school computer, to take between home and the classroom (I'm a teacher). It's old, beat up, but still works like a champ.

15. alvindarkness macrumors 6502

Theres no reason for this decision to be an all-or-nothing affair. If you have enough free harddrive space, you can use disk utility to shrink your Mavericks partition by 20gb or so, create a new partition for Yosemite, and dual boot for a while (press option at boot time to switch between Mavericks and Yosemite) until you are sure Yosemite is the best choice for you.

Your topic title "while its still available", makes it sound like time of the of essence, but it isnt. Download the Yosemite installer, and just keep it handy on a usb stick for future reference (you can do the same with Mavericks, just check it using a known/trusted MD5 to ensure it is an untouched Apple image). Theres no reason you cant compare Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan on your internal SSD to make up your mind without any risk of going back or making an irreversible decision, and take all the time you want.

Other options exist also. This is where the disk utility being able to clone partitions onto external drives, or the more simple solution of time machine, come in mighty handy. If you have an external usb drive, you could boot into your recovery partition, clone your working mavericks partition to the external drive, and have a fully bootable backup of your current system. Then if a yosemite upgrade goes sour, just clone it back. The possibilities for non-destructive experimentation are endless.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

El Capitain GM is running quite well on my 2011 11" MBA.