Opinon: Why the rumored Mac Pro case is Wrong

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macpropro80, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I don't think the handle-less mac pro concept is accurate For a few obvious reasons:

1) How would you pick up the system?
    2) Can't easily stack multiple systems on top of each other. (for cluster/servers)
    3) The system weighs 50+ LB without upgrades, that's a lot of weight for 1/4 inch aluminum.
    4) Doesn't add anything to system
    5) I don't think apple will change the case in that way, there is no reason.

Just my thoughts

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

1) Bend from the kness, tip it slightly, grab it underneath, and bear huge it to your chest as you straighten up, then cradle it in your arms until you reach your location, same way you carry pretty much all handle-less towers. Unless they put wheels on the thing. Some towers have wheels, or some sort of rollers.

2) The handles don't really facilitate that at all. They'd be easier to stack without the handles. Plus, if you dump the handles, you can put fittings for rack ears in their place.

3) Huh?

4) Wut?

5) I don't either, it's a design trademark, the handles will stay, and will probably be mostly decorative, as they have been since the first G5s.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The handles are for pure convenience, and ever since the PowerMac G3, there have been handles on the pro towers, and it shall stay that way...

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

While I see no reason why Apple would change direction on this, there are literally hundreds of PC cases without handles and they seem to function ok. Somehow people seem able to move them. :rolleyes:

5. Chilz0r macrumors regular

Just answered your own question ;)
    Mac Pro case isn't just another "hundreds" case.

I agree that you can bear hug the Mac Pro but it would be awkward compared to the way it is now with the handles and yes the system is still heavy even when you take out all hardware. When you stack the Mac Pro the handles provide a bit of extra breathing space so that air can pass through if you have a cramped cabinet. If your really worried about space, then you might like to look at the Xserve and get a single slot rack with a bunch of them installed.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I don't think he ever phrased a question.

7. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I don't think he ever had to.
    He was fatuous.

8. Trip.Tucker Guest

Fatuous??? Overweight? Did you mean he was being facetious?

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

fatuous |ˈfa ch oōəs|
    adjective
    silly and pointless : a fatuous comment

10. pprior macrumors 65816

pwned

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Try to move them with one hand ;)

12. Horst Guest

The next Mac Pro will come with an optional foldable hand truck (iDolly), hence no need for handles.

The $150 price is steep, but I understand there'll be an affordable compatibility bundle including the iDolly, display adapters, FW adapters, Apple glossy-matte display conversion kit (roofing hammer) and a post-paid farewell postcard to Steve Jobs.

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

We're not talking about computers anymore. :p

14. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't imagine any other case design for the mac pro. Or at least one that matches the rest of the apple line up. Could you imagine a mac pro with black glass? that would look like a cross between a dell and a g4. The only think I think that will be different is the number of ports, and possibly the # of cd/dvd drives. I could imagine possibly side vents.

15. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Don't see a picture, or reference, so where was this idea coming from originally?

17. Fomaphone macrumors regular

horst's idea? he or she was being facetious.