Oppo Find7: 2K screen, SnapDragon 801, 50MP photos

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by gto55, Mar 19, 2014.

1. gto55 macrumors 6502a

gto55

Could be an alternative to Z2 or S5

Oppo Find 7 is the world's first phone that can take 50MP photos (video) - http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/oppo-find-7-50mp-camera/

[​IMG]
    We've seen the teasers and we've seen the leaks, so it's about time to see the real thing. Oppo has finally unveiled the Find 7 in Beijing just now, and as promised, this Android 4.3 device really can take 50-megapixel photos! But as with many things in life, there's a catch here: the sensor is actually a 13-megapixel Sony IMX214 CMOS, so it's a software trick. Still, the results we saw earlier were surprisingly good, so read on to check out how it's done and what the rest of the phone is like.

The Find 7 comes with Oppo's latest image signal processor dubbed Pure Image 2.0, and this is what enables the 50-megapixel "Super Zoom" creation: the camera takes 10 consecutive shots very quickly, and then it automatically picks four best shots to combine them into a 50-megapixel still. Our 8,160 x 6,120 sample shots ended up being around 10MB large each, and as you can see above, there's a lot of detail preserved even up close, which puts the Xperia Z1's 20-megapixel camera to shame. While Super Zoom is a software-based feature, the 1/3.06-inch IMX214 sensor also deserves credit for its 480 megapixel-per-second bandwidth, which is 33 percent faster than the 13-megapixel CMOS chip on the Find 5. And of course, the bright f/2.0 aperture helps, too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Other notable camera features include 4K video recording at 30 fps, slow-motion video at up to 100 fps, long exposure for up to 32 seconds, HDR-capable GIF creation and RAW mode. You'll also be able to use some of these features with the 5-megapixel f/2.0 front-facing camera.
    The 5.5-inch Find 7 will come in two versions. The $499 Find 7a (aka Find 7 Lite in China) packs a 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, a 2,800mAh battery and a 1080p display. The more premium $599 Find 7 features a faster 2.5GHz Snapdragon 801, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, a 3,000mAh cell plus a quad HD (2,560 x 1,440) display. This makes Oppo the second manufacturer to offer a quad HD phone, following sister company Vivo's Xplay 3S.
    Apart from the above points plus the different back covers (the Find 7's has a carbon fiber texture), the two models are otherwise identical. You get Gorilla Glass 3, microSD expansion (up to 128GB), micro-SIM slot, LTE radio (for Chinese, European and US models; 3G only for Indonesian model), a pulsing "skyline" notification light underneath the chin, award-winning MaxxAudio plus Dirac HD audio enhancement and "VOOC" rapid charging (you go from zero to 75 percent in just half an hour). About the last point, you apparently won't have to worry about potential heat issues while charging, as the Find 7 is built with five layers of thermal protective coating, and the solid titanium-aluminum alloy frame -- crafted with nano-injection molding -- also helps dissipate heat.
    [​IMG]
    The Find 7 will be shipped with Color OS 1.2 based on Android 4.3, and it'll come with many familiar features that are already on the N1. These include weather animation on the home screen, gesture shortcuts (including torch and camera activation even when the screen is off) and themes. Do look up our N1 review if you want to know more about Oppo's custom ROM. At the time of publishing this article, we have yet to hear any news about CyanogenMod development for the Find 7, so stay tuned.
    Interested folks outside China can order a Find 7a both online and offline come mid-April (there will be a $50 early bird discount from some retailers), or you can wait for the advanced Find 7 due May or June. If you happen to be in Beijing, CEO Tony Chen will be personally selling some units in one of the local shops tomorrow. Now that's a hands-on boss.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I can make a 640x480 jpg into a 50mp picture too via software.

The reality is a 13mp picture is a 13mp picture - simply blowing it up and trying to fill in the missing information with a smart algorithm is NOT taking a 50mp picture, no matter how smart it is.

Here we have a fantastic example of why the Megapixel myth needed to be debunked - shame Oppo are late to the news.

My Hasselblad won't lose any sleep ;) At the end of the day - It's just software gimmick to give it a 'most mp in a smart camera ' claim/tag, despite the truth being somewhat distant from that reality.

Still 13mp is looking better than the ultra pixel 4mp shooter we may get from the new HTC one 2014.

3. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I got all excited until i found out it uses 13mp lens.

4. Kiezpirat80 macrumors 6502

Kiezpirat80

Men...what should all the htc one fanboys say :D

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

"Our 8,160 x 6,120 sample shots ended up being around 10MB large each, and as you can see above, there's a lot of detail preserved even up close, which puts the Xperia Z1's 20-megapixel camera to shame."

Too bad Engadget didn't publish some real comparative images proving it's indeed better than the Z1 (which I really doubt). Not that beating the Z1 would be THAT big a feat, given that the Z1 has, image quality-wise, a pretty lousy camera not really producing better images than, say, the iPhone 5+...

6. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Damn i want it, that carbon back looks good, they are partnered with cyongenmod, that screen, that camera but mostly the charging features are amazing........ And I have never ever considered them before they are really mixing things up, hope it releases soon in Europe

----------

So??? Have you seen the samples?

7. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I just saw some. Yes the digital zoom is impressive but there seems to be a lot of digital noise which takes away from the detail of the image. Its probably a pre production unit anyway but I'd like to see comparisons with the Lumia 1020.

8. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I don't know why oppo bothers with the color ROM. Ship the thing with stock android with s few tweaks and call it a day. Buggy skins never improve customer satisfaction. There's a reason the moto x is the highest rated phone in at&ts website.

9. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Some people like skins. Why not let people have choice?

10. joshwithachance, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

50MP photos are a software trick, and the ColorOS is RATCHET.
    With that said, I'm glad they're pushing the boundaries with the screen resolution, have implemented all new charging technology, and have included LTE support this time around.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That interface reminds me of stock Android before Gingerbread. :eek: Nice weather widget though. The wallpaper doesn't give us a good look at the display quality.

When we're talking about "super zoom", we're talking about the zooming in on a subject, yes? So these are still not the regular shots the phone can take.

It's impressive. For being zoomed out that much, it does a great job of keeping things in focus.

12. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

13. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Not gonna lie, this is a REALLY attractive looking phone.

14. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

I'm interested, I might wait and see how much the Find 7 ends up costing when it comes available for the US. I'd like to buy the OnePlusOne, but who knows if/when I will ever be able to actually do so.

15. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I know the OnePlusOne is a mystery right now....when will it be available....when will it be available to the general public.......how many are they going to make........who gets invites? Even on their website they don't seem to know. What a mess that release is.

But the Find 7a seism to be a great phone. But a little on the large side.

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

There are very similar...actually, could be twins. The specs sheets for both are also basically identical--same camera sensor, CPU, battery size, display (size, type, resolution), all dimensions less than a mm in difference. Only noticeable differences are the One Plus One has 3GB RAM, a few more LTE bands, yet no mention of expandable memory while the Oppo has 2GB RAM with expandable memory (up to 128GB).

The Oppo may cost more but looks like you'll certainly be able to get it easier/earlier.

Attached Files:

17. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

The skyline led notification looks really awesome.

18. MRU, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OnePlus One is just a subsidiary of OPPO and the OnePlus is a slightly modified rebadged Find 7a.

The issue is the Find 7a is available now... The One Plus is a big ? Indeed has anyone even seen a finished unit?

19. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

Thats kinda true, except I'd rather pay $299 or $349 instead of $499 and get an extra GB of RAM. But I definitely agree we have no idea whats up with the OnePlusOne.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

oppostyle.com and europe.oppostyle.com seem to be down ...

21. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

There are lots of threads on the OnePlusOne website with people complaining/discussing the ownership of OPO.
    Here is their official response:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/28/does-oppo-own-oneplus/
    What a mess all their message boards are right now.

----------

They seem to be back up in the US....

http://oppostyle.com/find-7/65-find-7a-white-us-version.html

22. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

24. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

LOL...i am what I am.....:) I have an addiction.....

25. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Oppo Find7: 2K screen, SnapDragon 801, 50MP photos

Between you and MRU we have every phone ever made covered. :D

Also can't wait for your review.