Opporunity to create free iCloud account on activating iPad 2 on 4.3.3 Firmware?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by timidhermit, Jul 7, 2011.

1. timidhermit macrumors regular

I was recently helping someone to setup a brand new iPad 2 with 4.3.3 stock firmware. When I plugged in the device for the very first time, iTunes asked me if I wanted to create a free Apple account/ID, followed by if I wanted to install Find my iPad app. I had never seen those options before when I activated other iDevices.

At that time, I chose "no" to skip those options. Later, when the person whom I was helping changed his mind and wanted the free Apple account/ID, I tried to restore the iPad 2 to factory default to reactivate the device again. However, iTunes did not ask those same options again. I even tried to delete and then reinstall iTunes and the iPad 2, but still I was unable to get iTunes to offer up those signups.

Can someone help? Did I just miss an opportunity to sign up a free mobileme ID for the upcoming iCloud service?

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You can go into the mail settings and setup an account there too. This is just the ability to create an Apple ID (using your existing e-mail address) for the purpose of setting up Find my iPhone.

The account you create isn't a MobileMe/iCloud account in the traditional sense you're thinking about.

3. timidhermit thread starter macrumors regular

Does this mean the only current way to sign up a new MobileMe/iCloud account is using 5.0 beta? I have read many prior posts on this, but the opinions differ with some claiming to be otherwise.

4. shandyman Suspended

yes, it is the only way