Opposite of Command+h?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nick012, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Nick012 macrumors regular

command+h hides a window. Is there a keyboard shortcut to show it again? I always have mail open but the window hidden. It shows up in command+tab but it only makes mail show on the menu bar - not too useful. Short of a way of making command+tab show an open application's window is there a keyboard shortcut that would allow me to command+tab to an app and then show the window? i.e. command+tab then ???+??? to show the window.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Read this for information about the features, and keyboard shortcuts of Exposé: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

In your case, when Mail is open, you'll want to use F10, and press Tab to switch between the available windows.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If I Command+Tab to an app I have hidden using Command+H it always makes the window unhide

4. Nick012 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, but what if I use the red dot in the corner? I figured it was the same as command+h. Obviously its not. I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of command+h. Sorry for not being too clear in my first post.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, the red dot is different to command H.

Read dot is close window
    Command+H is hide app

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Same here

Maybe the OP actually closed the Mail window rather than hiding it. In which case use command+option+n

edit:

use command+option+n

7. cobravap macrumors regular

h+command?

jkjk

also for a cool trick try ctrl+alt+command+8

;-)

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also generally, when you have an app that runs even when no windows are open, you can typically click once on the dock icon to create a new version of whatever the most common / default window type is. E.G. if you close the mail window, I think when you click on the dock icon of the running mail program, it is the same as cmd-opt-n. Similarly, if you have Safari running with no open windows, clicking on the dock icon again creates a new one. The nice thing about that is that the new window keyboard shortcut is not always consistent.