Optiarc DVD burners??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SDAVE, Jun 4, 2008.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have a newer gen Mac Pro and both my SuperDrives are Optiarc drives...my previous gen Mac Pro had Pioneer drives which I always trusted, but right now I am trying to burn Taiyo Yuden discs (Japan) at 8x (I always use 8x for safety) and the Optiarc burns in 12 mins or so per disc?? Something's wrong here.

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Yes opticrap drives don't shine, like the all star pioneers did.
    Mastushita is another dvd drive that apple has been using. That just cant cut it. I cant understand why they don't just stick with the pioneers.

You can pick up a pioneer 115 at owc for like 30 bucks
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/DVR115DBK/

Or look on ebay for my favorite drive the pioneer 112

3. aibo macrumors 6502

Some Early 2008 Mac Pros ship with the Pioneer-112D (mine did)

4. Chilz0r macrumors regular

Just another question about the Optiarc drives. I have the AD-7170A and for some reason I can read DVD-RAM discs but not write to them? So I went to the manufacturers website:

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.eu/en/exhibits/hh-drives/ad-7170a.html

Which tells me I should be able to write DVD-RAM up to 12x speed, but this is just not happening in OS X (Leopard 10.5.3) I've tried to format the DVD-RAM in Disk Utility and using Toast 9 without success? am I missing something?

5. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

That's because apple uses their own firmware on their drives.

6. cxc macrumors member

Please add crippled to your sentence.
    To the OP: Save yourself from worries and get a decent Samsung/LG or whatever drive for 30 dollars.

7. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

I tossed the Optiarc that came with my early 2008. Total POS. I put in a Pioneer 112 that I'd got awhile back for my G5 and it runs great. The original burner that came in my G5 2004 model was better than the Optiarc.

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I need 2 drives then. Should I worry about the firmware if I take these 2 out and replace them? Shame how Apple puts in cheap crap in such an expensive machine.

Also if I put these in and ever need to go to Apple care, they won't know what's in there right? I'll keep the drives just in case.

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ok I'm about to order the Pioneer 115 IDE (Right? I have January 2008 mac Pro)

Should I get the white or black?

10. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

^ Anyone please? I need new drives ASAP. This optiarc is giving me problems.

11. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

12. aibo macrumors 6502

you need a new drive ASAP and the question holding you up is what color to get? :rolleyes:

13. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks alot! I'm ordering right now. If I ever need to take it to Apple Care do I need to put in the old ones back in?

Uh no, it was about Pioneer 115. In this thread someone mentioned the 112 but not the 115 (newer one). I just wanted to make sure before getting 2 of them. And now I figured out that you have to take out the face plate so color doesn't matter (I didn't know that, never took apart my Mac)