Optibay - 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by poppalarge, May 19, 2012.

1. poppalarge macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a late 2011 15" Macbook Pro and I bought a Kingston SSD, and a (cheap replica) Optibay off ebay.

Foolishly, I read the small print on my ebay purchase after purchasing and it says it's not compatible with the 2011 Models.

I did some investigation and I can't find a definitive answer as to why it's not compatible.

I had planned to keep the stock 500gb HDD in the main bay and run VMs off the SSD in the Optibay.

Does anyone have the answer?

ta

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

1. If you really don't know, then why not try it out and see?

2. Do you have a late or early 2011 MBP? With the early ones, only one of the SATA connections is actually SATA III. The connection to the optical drive is usually SATA II. So if you decide to pop in an SSD, it's better to move the HDD to the optical drive and put the SSD in the main port to maximize speed.

You can check by doing the following:

a. Open up the System Information app.
    b. Click on the Serial-ATA option.
    c. Click on each of the Intel Chipsets and see what the Link Speed is.
    d. If it's 6 gigabits, it's SATA III. If it's 3 gigabits, it's SATA II

3. Jro82 macrumors newbie

Late 2011 15

Your Main HD bay is SATA III 6GB and your Optibay is SATA III 3GB
    There is a lot of conflicting reports about that speed though so best to go into your System Info app as noted above.

It would be wise to move your SSD to your main drive and your HDD into the optibay.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But what about the sudden motion sensor and the drive sleeping in the optibay. I've read reports of issues with hard drives in the optical bay or am I mistaken?

5. poppalarge thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like both are 6Gb, from the system profiler

6. ahdickter macrumors 6502

That's good news. However, I still recommend placing the SSD in the main HDD bay (sometimes the EFI is finicky.)

There are some reports of this happening. Unless you are in the habit of shaking your MBP many times a day while it's running, the lack of SMS won't really be noticed. Depending on the HDD used, it automatically does it on its own as well.

Sometimes the HDD doesn't sleep automatically (depends who you talk to.) The best thing you can do is manually adjust the amount of time it takes the HDD to spin down. This link should help:

http://blog.macsales.com/13349-quick-tip-save-battery-by-spinning-down-hard-drive-sooner

Good luck!