Optibay- 2011 machine - Which drive goes where?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdee2wheels, May 9, 2011.

1. jdee2wheels macrumors member

Hi,

I just got a 15" macbook pro today. I have a 80gig intel SSD from my old computer I want to use in the macbook pro. My plan is to buy the Optibay or Data Doubler, use the stock spinning drive for media, and put the OS on the SSD.

So I've read a bunch of threads and I still can't figure out which drive should go where.

I'm pretty sure my SSD is only SATAII so I don't think there is a speed hit if I put it in the optical bay. That being said it seems like there are problems with hibernation if I put the SSD in this spot right? This is a bit of a bummer since I've been know on occasion to close the lid and run out of power when I open it up 2 days later :eek:

If I put the spinning drive in the optical bay I loose the sudden motion sensor correct? Is this an issue only if the computer is dropped or does this feature protect the drive during everyday travel too?

So, if I got it correct, its either give up hibernation or SMS. Which is the lesser of 2 evils? I know there are hard drives with built in SMS, but between the new laptop purchase, the caddy, extra ram and a dual link DVI adapter, my wallet is beyond empty at this point :)

Anyway, I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. m4rk0 macrumors member

:)
    yeah, so from this point of view it would make no difference.

i think so, (someone says) the system looks for os x in the default hard drive location. i just wrote "i think so" as i did NOT care too much about this issue, i chose to have my own ssd in the stock location.

you could loose it but you may still have this feature via the hard drive's own one, it depends on what hard drive are you going to install there. so, what hard drive are you going to install there? :D
    some drives have their own sensor which would make you cool.
    if it's the stock apple drive, i believe apple somehow disabled its sensor (if any) in favor of the one installed on-board every macbook (pro): two sensors working at the same time cause frequent kernel panics.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

SMS depends on the drive. The Seagate Momentus has one built in. Like this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...1754&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_1011wt_1141.
    Some SSD's will sleep in the optical bay, most will not. People with Kingston V+ and V+100's have had much success because of the Apple like Toshiba controller.

4. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate the responses.

At the moment I don't plan to buy another spinning drive just to get integrated SMS. If I put the stock apple drive in the optibay, is it likely to crap out quickly because of the lack of SMS or is it probably going to be fine assuming I don't drop the thing?

Does this mean the computer won't sleep or battery life would be affected? I thought the only issue with the SSD in the optical bay was that the computer wouldn't hibernate correctly?

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

When I put my Intel 320 in the optical bay and closed the lid, the light on the front of the computer that normally flashes would not flash, it stayed bright. When I put my HD in the optical bay everything worked correctly.