OptiBay 750GB -> uMBP17" installation difficulty?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gødspeed, May 10, 2010.

1. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

I recently ran out of space on my MacBook Pro 17" (Summer 2009 model)'s 500GB hard drive, and am looking to buy an extra 750GB internal hard drive to swap in for my current optical drive. MCE offers a product called OptiBay (http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/) which does just that, and they can either install it themselves if I ship my MBP to them, or to ship the drive + instructions to me and let me handle doing it.

I am wondering if anyone here has gone through the process themselves, and would care to comment on how difficult it is to swap the drives? I used to built my own PC desktops out of parts bought online, so I do have a rudimentary knowledge of computer assembly, but I've never worked on a laptop before.

I do still have the original box my MBP came in so I could send it in, but I'd prefer to avoid the additional cost and time associated with doing it that way.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I haven't used the OptiBay myself, but it looks like installation should be pretty straightforward once you have the computer open. iFixIt doesn't seem to have guides on servicing individual parts on the 17" Unibody MacBook Pro, but according to their teardown, the inner workings are similar to those of the 15" model, which does have a guide.

3. gødspeed thread starter macrumors regular

gødspeed

Thanks, I think I will just buy the drive, and if I can't figure it out, maybe take it over to a more savvy friend.