optibay and applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Dec 16, 2011.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

so i installed a hdd in the optibay in my mbp. the only trace of doing this job would be some small markings on the screws used to hold the optical drive in place. would apple notice this and use this against me or could i argue the fact?

also, is it still worth buying applecare? and lastly, is there anyway i could purchase the exacts screws from anywhere so that if i need to take my macbook in to the store i could just install it with new screws?

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Would they notice? No. They wouldn't even care if they did.
    Is it worth it? Yes.
    Can you buy the screws? Yes.

3. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

where can i buy the screws?

also in one of the holes the screw started to go in sideways but i managed to get it to go in straight. i don't think it damaged the threads on the macbook but it did slightly start to strip the tip of the screws? would they care about any of this? its hardly noticeable unless you looked at them with a magnifying glass or something lol.

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...+screws&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

You can open the computer all you want - that doesn't void the warranty. They don't care about stripped screws (unless they can't take them out - which they can still fix, but it's just more of a PITA).

5. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

im not talking about those screws. I'm talking about the screws that hold the optical drive in place...and actually the only user replaceable parts are the hdd and the ram, so if they know you removed the optical drive that does void the warrantee.

maybe someone more knowledgable on the subject can chime in and help me a bit.

6. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Stop stressing about things that might happen in the future. Besides, it's already too late isn't it? If you were that concerned then you wouldn't have done it.

Worry about the time in the near future when you are going to spill kool aid all over it and then when you drop it carrying it to the bedroom when the boogie man decides to jump out from under the bed during daylight. Also, global warming and the ability of your mbp's fans to keep up with the climate change. Your house keys will probably go missing next Thursday.

7. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

that does not help at all.

I'm looking for someone who may know if apple will notice/care and if its still worth getting applecare.

also, I'm looking for a place to buy those tiny screws with the T6 heads on them that hold down the optical drive.

8. motoracer1486, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I misread the screws your were talking about. In any event, you're making a big deal out of nothing. Go to an Apple store and ask for a couple replacement hard drive screws, they will give them to you with no problem. Otherwise, you can find the screws you're looking for via google.

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts...-2010-Early-2011-Hard-Drive-Bracket/IF161-036

9. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

its not the hard drive screws...its the optical drive screws haha...

and I'm making a big deal because i don't want to be ineligible for applecare if i need to use it.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, they might notice. Yes, they might use this against you in future warranty cases. Will they do it? Most likely not, but no one here can guarantee that to you.

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Have you already done the work? If so then any damage is already done.

Your question is one that is best asked BEFORE any work is done and not after.

That is why others are telling you not to stress over it .... what's done is done.

Oh and next time, if you do not have the proper tools do not attempt to do the work.

12. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i did have proper tools. the screws are in a tough spot so they required the tool be titled which first caused one screw to start to miss thread. but i corrected it. and the other markings are just natural from taking the screws in and out because iv had them out 3 times. thats why I'm wondering if anyone knows a place where i can get new screws.

13. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

They probably won't notice and if they did how could the prove you broke said part? If the question came up you could easily say you thought the screws were lose and tightened them which would explain wear on the screws. I think you're worrying too much about something that won't be a problem.

14. happle, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016

happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats what i do best :)

15. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Best to wear a hardhat when walking outside as workers above might throw bricks on your head. They might not, but the have bricks.