Optibay and iTunes - how to load music from HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erkanasu, Oct 21, 2012.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Hi all,

How do I get itunes, on a fresh install SSD, to recognize and load music from my old iTunes music folder which is located on different drive (not enough space on the SSD)?

I found this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US, but its for people who want to move the files over - I'm past this, I just need itunes to recognize the external folder and keep all music off of the SSD.

thanks!:confused: of note, I changed the directory in itunes, but it did not load any of the music.

Background:

I successful installed 256GB SSD and have the old 750GB now in the optical bay (2011 macbook pro).

I copied all of the applications and folders over besides the home folders Music, Movies, and Pictures. They are currently on an external drive and are awaiting their home on the 750GB internal drive (i plan to partition it to be both a time machine backup and storage space for music, movies, and pictures).

2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Try moving the entire iTunes folder to the drive, as well as the application, and see if it works from there.

3. wethackrey macrumors 6502

Before you go down this path, are you sure you don't want your entire user directory on the HDD, rather than the SSD? This has some real advantages in disaster recovery. If you're going that route then start up as a different admin user (create one if need be) and copy your user directory over to the HDD, then move the music, etc mack where it belongs in the user directory. In System Preferences, unlock the pane and hold the Control key down while clicking on the user name of your user account. An Advanced Options menu item will appear. You can change the user directory path on that pane.

Now, as to iTunes... your iTunes library files should now be in the right place. You'll need to go back in to iTunes Preferences::Advanced and correct the Media folder path. If the library files got moved to the correct place in your user directory, iTunes should see your music. If not, you'll need to rebuild the iTunes library. Look here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

4. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

I moved my itunes library to the optibay then deleted it off the SSD and made an alias of User>Music>iTunes and dropped that back where it used to be on the SSD. Pretty tidy and iTunes just thinks the same stuff has always been there

5. nitromac macrumors 6502

Pretty sure you can go to preferences and set where you want your library...