Optibay and SSD advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMexican, Apr 21, 2012.

1. iMexican, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

iMexican macrumors newbie

Im considering changing the DVD drive for a optibay since dvds are for cavemen living in the stone age....

What i really want to do is buy a 32 or 40gb SSD (depending on the os size), rip the dvd drive out and buy an enclosure and convert it to a external superdrive. Buy an optidrive along with a 1tb hdd and use that for software and general storage.

I wondering if anyone has done this and what files do i need to clone to the new ssd to keep everything intact (desktop loadout, system preferences...etc), and what are the procedures and problems such as: will i be able to install bootcamp on the external drive? and have the bootcamp files (stuff like games) on the external drive?

thanks and peas out

EDIT: system specs

model: macbook pro 13" late 2011 model
    cpu: i5 2.3ghz
    ram: upgraded to 8gb

also considering changing the thermal paste

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I'm afraid I can only answer one question,tha is yes it has been attempted.use google for instructions?

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just search this forum. Click through a few pages and you should find dozens of thread that tackle that.

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

5. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go with a 30-40 gb SSD. You want to be able to store your applications on the SSD with out running the risk of being full. Getting a 60+ GB would be better if you could do it.

This might be what you are looking for:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347247