Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iMexican

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Im considering changing the DVD drive for a optibay since dvds are for cavemen living in the stone age....

What i really want to do is buy a 32 or 40gb SSD (depending on the os size), rip the dvd drive out and buy an enclosure and convert it to a external superdrive. Buy an optidrive along with a 1tb hdd and use that for software and general storage.

I wondering if anyone has done this and what files do i need to clone to the new ssd to keep everything intact (desktop loadout, system preferences...etc), and what are the procedures and problems such as: will i be able to install bootcamp on the external drive? and have the bootcamp files (stuff like games) on the external drive?

thanks and peas out

EDIT: system specs

model: macbook pro 13" late 2011 model
cpu: i5 2.3ghz
ram: upgraded to 8gb

also considering changing the thermal paste

Last edited:

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Im considering changing the DVD drive for a optibay since dvds are for cavemen living in the stone age....

What i really want to do is buy a 32 or 40gb SSD (depending on the os size), rip the dvd drive out and buy an enclosure and convert it to a external superdrive. Buy an optidrive along with a 1tb hdd and use that for software and general storage.

I wondering if anyone has done this and what files do i need to clone to the new ssd to keep everything intact (desktop loadout, system preferences...etc), and what are the procedures and problems such as: will i be able to install bootcamp on the external drive? and have the bootcamp files (stuff like games) on the external drive?

thanks and peas out

EDIT: system specs

model: macbook pro 13" late 2011 model
cpu: i5 2.3ghz
ram: upgraded to 8gb

also considering changing the thermal paste

I'm afraid I can only answer one question,tha is yes it has been attempted.use google for instructions?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Just search this forum. Click through a few pages and you should find dozens of thread that tackle that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.