OptiBay and Time Machine install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paolo-, Mar 31, 2012.

1. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have a 2010 macbook pro for which I recently purchased a 128GB Crucial M4 and a caddy for. I'm currently under Snow Leopard and was thinking of maybe upgrading to Lion at the same time. Now I'm having doubts as to what's the best way to do my install :confused: .

I want to boot off the SSD, have my applications there and keep my home folder on the HDD. I currently use Time Machine so I'd like to restore from it. I really don't want to reinstall everything as I have a bunch of stuff and I don't want to loose my preferences. My question is, what will happen if I try to restore my time machine of my current installation which uses 220GB to my 128 GB drive ?

If that's not possible what's the best way to go around this? I was thinking of putting most of the contents of my home folder on an external HDD and delete them off my current install and then run time machine to get a slim back up containing only my preferences and application. That way I could restore my installation to my SSD and then format my HDD to then copy back the files from my external HDD to it.

I'd really like a second opinion on this before I potentially nuke all my data :eek:

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

You can put the Hard drive in the caddy, for the optibay, and the SSD in the main bay. You can then boot from the Hard drive still, and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to have an exact copy of your existing files. However, you can still do a fresh install of the SSD so you can reserve as much space as possible. I have the same setup as I just mentioned for you, except with an Intel 520 120gb SSD and a 750gb in the optibay.

3. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh wow, that's great, I can choose what I copy with CCC!

I'm trying this now, I'll keep you guys updated on it.