Optibay / Bootcamp Config

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by townsend2005, Apr 27, 2014.

1. townsend2005 macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Quick Question!

My current setup:
    Early 2011 MBP
    HDD in Original Bay.
    SSD in Opti-bay.
    Single boot 10.6.8

My intention:
    I'm going to put Mavericks on my SSD and use Bootcamp to put 10.6.8 / XP / Win7 on the HDD (yes, I have p.i.t.a. legacy software needs).

My question is - can I use Bootcamp (under 10.6.8) to make the partitions on the original-bay HDD, and then restore an old CCC image to the intended 10.6.8 Boot partition?

Are there any benefits to using Bootcamp from Mavericks? Or.. is that even the right question?

Thank you!

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Not sure i understand fully but can't see why you wouldn't be able to clone 10.6.8 back to the HDD, but you won't be able to create two bootcamp partitions on that HDD, one for XP one for Win 7. You might be able to create a bootcamp partition on the SSD, from BCA in Mavericks, and another on the HDD from 10.6.8.

From what you say about your usage, I would suggest you would be much better off with Parallels or VM Ware. I have XP, Win7 and Win8 VMs on the same drive. Parallels is much faster than many people think, and only serious gamers need it IMO.

PS you will probably get more knowledgeable answers on the Windows on Mac section

3. townsend2005 thread starter macrumors newbie