Optibay causes hybernating issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 20, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I wanted to create a new thread to see if all the optibay users are experiencing a hybernation issue (MacBook pro won't go to sleep when the lid is closed?).

I read on one of the threads that a couple of users were complaining about hybernating issues with their optibay installed. Also something about the only way around the issue is to eject the hdd before hybernating (closing the lid?).

Is this true?? If so I might not install the optibay.

2. modular macrumors regular

I believe the conclusion on this was that you need to have os x installed on the hard drive that exists in the original harddrive bay. Use the hardrive in the optibay for files and storage. Having the OS installed in the optibay harddrive is what was causing some hybernation issues for some.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks for clearing that up.

4. John Kotches macrumors 6502

The issue I'm seeing with optibay is that I have to hold down the option key and select the MAC OS drive manually -- otherwise boot fails.

I have all my apps on a 128GB SSD in the original bay - the optibay drive has my Parallels virtuals inside.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

You can fix that by going to preference and under startup choose and highlight the hdd that you want osx to see upon startup.

6. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Thanks... I'm still a bit of a Mac OS newbie so some of the nuances are not there yet ;-)

Cheers,

7. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

I have the OS installed on both drives, and I have no sleep issues. From what I understand, the hibernating issue is that when you are booted from the OptiBay and your battery dies, your Mac can't go into hibernation. Some people have found Terminal workarounds.

8. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

And if the battery dies what is the worst that will happen? You will lose any data that was not saved prior to the shutdown?