Optibay constantly writing/reading

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mavric1298, Mar 21, 2012.

1. mavric1298 macrumors newbie

Early 2011 Macbook Pro, OWC Datadoubler with Sandisk Extreme in the orignal slot for Sata-III, and original drive in the optibay.

I'm not sure if my problem is the same as everyone else's regarding spin down; my disk won't stop writing/reading. Mostly writing however, and it seems to be at about 10 second intervals. I've killed spotlight/mds/mds worker, Istat, and set sleep to 3 minutes, but as I keep getting regular write spikes, the drive won't sleep, then it will go crazy writing for no apparent reason (no applications running, not doing anything but watching the monitor)

The setup I have is having a boot-admin on the SSD, with my user folder pointed to the optibay HDD for my actual user.

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are always processes running as long as your Mac is on. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

3. mavric1298 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shouldn't processes be running on the SSD though since its the boot drive?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As you can see from your screen caps, there are many processes running, as there always is. Any one or combination of those can account for disk activity. Running processes may access both drives, depending on the process and the location of files used by that process. You could try quitting processes, one at a time, until you see the increased disk activity stop. Start with processes where the User is you, not root.