Optibay disk not found

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JakeOfOz, Aug 9, 2011.

1. JakeOfOz macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Today I installed my optibay in my macbook pro with a BTO SSD. I put the new hard drive in the optibay slot.
    (I have an HDcaddy, which is basically the same as optibay)
    Aaaaand it didn't work, took forever to start up, and when it finally did, I couldn't find a hard disk in the Disk Utility. But I didn't give up that easily, I switched the drives, so the original SSD (with OSX) to the optibay, and the new drive to the regular slot. Then the system wouldn't boot, couldn't find a startup disk (even with the option button pressed).
    So I switched the drives back around, and it started again (took forever, which seems to be related to the optibay, when I take it out, there is no problem) but I still can't find the drive.
    In the System Information utility i can't find anything on the SATA port, it says 'unknown'

Any ideas?

2. MKang25 macrumors regular

It seems like the Sata connection in the optical drive is the issue if none of the Hard drives are working. So either the Hard Drive Caddy is bust, the Sata connection cable is broke or the sata connection on the logic board is broke maybe a little bit of electrical discharge while you were upgrading?

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You can put the Superdrive back in to rule out the SATA cable/port. Then, test the hard drive on another computer, or externally with one of these.

4. JakeOfOz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try the suoerdrive again later today. Opening the lid again...
    I sure hope I didn't break the connector, I upgraded my RAM without any problems, and I regularly upgrade my home PC...

Can static electricity break the port or cable?

5. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

I'd say the fact it takes ages to start up when the optibay is in means it at least knows something is there, I'd definitely test the HDD if you can do that easily

6. JakeOfOz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I built the superdrive back in and it works, so it must be the optibay or the new disk...

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

8. JakeOfOz thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't format yet, but can't I do that from the optibay?

9. JakeOfOz thread starter macrumors newbie

Formatted with my PC, now it's ntfs, which mac should be able to read... Still nothing. Must be the optibay then, since the original drive also doesn't work in there. I'll see if I can get a replacement